Summer 2016 Playlist

Summer 2016 Playlist

Some old and some new but all perfect for you!

6
Summer 2016 Playlist
Laura Trevey

Finally, after all the exams are done, the books have been sold back and your room is all packed up, it hits you. Summer. At last. This is what you looked forward to on that snowy walk back from the library at midnight and all the times you almost had a mental breakdown from the insane amount of work you had due. Have no fear though, you made it! Congrats! What better way to celebrate than a bumping car ride home with a playlist that will get you amped for summer and carry you through those blazing July afternoons. With a mix of new, old and obscure, here’s your Summer 2016 playlist.

1. “Kill The Lights” (Audien Remix) by Alex Newell, Jess Glynne & DJ Cassidy (with Nile Rodgers)

I may be a little partial because I went to high school with one of the artists, but it’s imperative to start off your playlist with pump up tune that makes you want to belt and dance and be president of the United States all at once.

2. “Work From Home” by Fifth Harmony featuring Ty Dolla $ign

Perhaps a little sensual for a ride home with parents, but I am 100% positive you can get them to love this jam by dancing in the passenger’s seat next to them. Plus, it’s a great one for hanging with your girlfriends. Damn, this song was the anthem of my second semester.

3. “Youth” by Troye Sivan

We are going to dial it back a little, because I know you are out of breath from belting, but don’t worry, this hit by the Australian native is sure to keep your spirits up when you start missing your college friends and feel surrounded by old people (your parents).

4. “One and Only” by Adele

Adele’s 2011 ballad from her sophomore album is an under appreciated one for sure. A more mature version of Taylor Swift’s “You Belong With Me," Adele channels her inner Amy Winehouse to belt out her exclamation of love for a friend, and convince him to give her a chance. I would bet money this will become one of your favorite songs after the first time hearing it.

5. “When I Look At You” by Miley Cyrus

Need I even explain this one? After coming off fantastic momentum from Adele, put your soul into this heartfelt and heartbreaking young love anthem. Maybe you’re singing to that boy/girl you left behind at school, or if you’re me, it’s the ice cream you’re going to eat when you get home.

6. “Pray For You” by Jaron and the Long Road to Love

After exclaiming your love for a significant other, let’s switch gears and sing this hilarious tune. Whether you mean it for an ex or perhaps just a mortal enemy that cut you in line in the dining hall the day before, this song is cathartic. Sing it out then let it go.

7. “A Thousand Miles” by Vanessa Carlton

The second I hear the piano intro of this song, I immediately think two things: White Chicks and jamming out to the song on my HitClips in kindergarten. Now, it’s time to make new memories with his classic, starting this summer.

8. “Rich Girl” by Hall & Oates

In my dreams, I grew up during the 70s and 80s and I think at heart, this is true. “Rich Girl” is just one of those songs that you can try to resist liking (go ahead, try) but by the end, the entire car is belting at the top of your lungs and head banging out the windows. Man, I miss this kind of music.

9. “Come On Eileen” by Dexys Midnight Runners

When you first hear that Celtic fiddle, the uncultured mind thinks it’s another Irish folk song. Oh, how far from untrue. “Come On Eileen” is a song that unites generations by dancing like idiots and pretending to know the words when really everyone only knows the chorus. Impress your parents by putting this 80’s hit on and watch them immediately think they’ve raised you right.

10. “Something ‘Bout A Truck” by Kip Moore

If your dad is anything like mine and hates country music, then they’ll definitely hate this one. Just a redneck, feel good tune to appreciate the things you can’t get at college: old pick up trucks, real young love and skinny dipping the creek. Yup, parents will definitely love this.

11. “All Summer Long” by Kid Rock

Of course, this is the final song on the playlist! There is simply no better song to prepare you for all of the shenanigans, relaxation and memories that are born during the three hottest of the year. The familiar music of “Sweet Home Alabama” is completely remastered with the vocals of Kid Rock and his church choir background. This song will, without a doubt, help you cast away your final stresses from school and get you prepared for your summer ahead. Just remember these words:

We'd blister in the sun,

We couldn't wait for night to come

To hit that sand and play some rock and roll!

Best of luck on finals and Happy Summer 2016!