Don't Wait For This Note Before You Do Something About It

Once they're gone, all you can do is try to understand.

11
Unsplash // Alvaro Serrano
**Disclaimer: This content is meant to inform and humanize the struggles of mental illness that happen every day and can happen to anyone.

"Hi everyone. If you're reading this, I just wanted to let you know that I've decided to exit this place. This world where I see darkness and evil only. This world where I feel left out. This world where home doesn't even feel comfortable anymore. You know, sometimes people do have to be a little selfish, sometimes there really is such a thing as "no other option." Believe me, it isn't pretty being trapped in a world where you feel like there are walls surrounding you, moving in closer and closer as days pass by and then starting from scratch. What about my family? Believe me, you guys are better off without me. It's better to suffer short term without my presence than to suffer longer with my presence. What about my friends? I'm not sure if I have any anymore. I have complained to them about a million times. But hey, friends come and go. All I ever did in this world was wake up screaming from nightmares. All I ever did was disappoint. All I ever did was shed a tear at least twice a day. All I ever felt was pain. Pins and needles. Tightness. Flames. I was living hell. Hell. No doctor or medication could stop me. Nothing helped anymore. No one could. And that's okay because at the end of the day, it was all up to that person of whether they wanted to get better or not. At the beginning you think you have control of what you're feeling but you know things are bad when no tears come out, numbness is present, and you feel yourself floating without a care. I became just a body, a lifeless drained, dried up body. I wasn't in there anymore, is that what you wanted? A corpse who didn't speak or even blink? Now don't worry, sometimes angels have to be gained. Maybe that's how someone becomes truly peaceful. Just know, we're gone for a reason, we lived. We felt. We experienced. Just know that we are the wisest, we know what we are doing."

Is there a way to stop this? Yes, if you catch anything unusual, you can prevent it from getting to this point. Once it's too late, they have seen the world for what it really is and they leave this world because they know the secret of life. So hey, don't cry, don't hate them for making life decisions that involve exiting this place. Instead, educate yourself. Learn about the emptiness they are feeling and the darkness that is taking over them, learn about the point the have come to -- and do something. Once it happens, you're too late. Now is when you need to step into their shoes and see for yourself a glimpse of what they see.

This letter something to help you get a better grasp of what mental illness can do to someone. Sure, this is terrible, but hopefully, you can find comfort in the fact that it is not too late, you can still help.

For anyone seeking help, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.

The number is 1-800-273-TALK (8255) and they also have an online chat feature at http://chat.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/GetHelp/LifelineChat.aspx.