Sufjan Stevens Worst To Best

Sufjan Stevens Worst To Best

Sufjan Steven Albums ranked

5176
Sufjan Stevens Worst To Best

Sufjan Stevens is an Indie-Folk artist from the great state of Michigan! He's rising in popularity due to his recent compositions used in the film, Call Me by your Name. Here's my expert (non-expert) ranking of Sufjan Stevens' albums.

9. Enjoy Your Rabbit

Enjoy Your Rabbit is my least favourite of Sufjan's releases. I'm not a fan of electronic music in general, but the sudden shift in style Sufjan made after Seven Swans' folk style to this was unexpected. Although i didn't like the album it may have been necessary for Sufjan to eventually get to Age of Adz. So in that regard I guess the experimentation was a success.

8. A Sun Came

Sufjan's debut album. As such I feel it is acceptable that the album gives a sense of lacking direction. Although it feels like Sufjan hasn't yet master his folky sound the album does have some enjoyable lo-fi songs on here. At times the lo-fi style adds to the ambiance of the album as a whole, for these reason I rate it higher than Enjoy Your Rabbit.

7. Planetarium

A collaborative album, Sufjan's style and eerie vocals suit the space theme of the album. However, the effects used of Sufjan's voice soon become tired. I honestly enjoyed the album but can't say it is better than any of the albums I've ranked higher than it. It is only a mediocre Sufjan album leaving it a 7th place.

6. The Avalanche

This album feels like an addition to Illinois. That being said even an after thought of Illinois makes for a great listen. The albums amazing unique style carries over into the aptly named Avalanche. More of Illinois makes for an enjoyable listen.

5. Seven Swans

Seven Swans is a fantastic folk album, easy to listen to with some great lyrics and good track composition. Tracks like To Be Alone With You tie the albums beautiful feel in a nice little bow of soft guitar and echoing vocals.

4. Michigan

Honestly giving Michigan fourth place on this list hurt. It's a fantastic album and one of my favourites. That's just goes to show how good the next couple of albums on this list are. Michigan has some of Sufjan's best folk songs. The timid piano on tracks like Flint and combination of soft drum beats and banjo plucking on tracks like The Upper Peninsula make for a fantastic listen.

3. Carrie & Lowell

These next two albums are pretty interchangeable position-wise. However Age of Adz has grown on me and just barely beats out Carrie and Lowell in my opinion. This doesn't stop Carrie and Lowell being one of the best albums of the past ten years. The ghostly feel that the combination of twinkling guitar and spectral echoing vocals produce makes for a masterful album and excellent tribute to Sufjan's late mother.

2. Age of Adz

Sufjans combination of electronic and folk on this album makes for an interesting listen. It took me a couple of listens to get hooked but now it;s easily one of my favourite Sufjan albums. Honestly if you haven't listened to it check it out.

1. Illinois

Undeniably a masterpiece. Sufjan's use of composition through out the album is perfect. The themes throughout the album are perfect. The lyrics are thought provoking and enjoyable to listen to. I honestly can't fault the album I love it.