How To Take The First Step

Success and Progress Are Knocking At Your Doorstep, They’re Just Waiting For You To Take The First Step

There is so much waiting for you beyond your fear of failure and rejection.

73
https://www.flickr.com/photos/deel/3709493443

Taking the first step into anything is terrifying. It's the unknown, the gateway to possible failure, and one of the many challenges our generation faces. Now, this challenge isn't unique to our generation, but it is something that many of us struggle with. The problem with avoiding the first step, however, is that you're also avoiding the host of opportunities that comes with taking a risk.

First steps can look like a lot of things, and we have all made the leap, or talked ourselves out of it, many times. What about that time you decided to sign up for something new that you've always wanted to try, made the appointment with your counselor to change your major, typed out the apology text to someone and saved it to your drafts, or bought a gym membership- first steps.

Every first step sets another into motion and proves that you are in charge of the life you want to live. To see progress, you have to start small and begin with taking action in the first place. Holding onto the idea of success, mending a relationship, or wiping the slate clean is necessary for a moment, but when you decide that you want to make your goal a reality is when you will prosper.

I get it, it's agonizing. Our brains have convinced us that any step forward is too hard, will definitely result in failure, and that we shouldn't even attempt one. We stop ourselves before we've even begun because of our mental blocks.

The thing is, taking the step and doing that thing you've been agonizing about is never as bad as you've made it out to be. Take 10 minutes out of each day dedicated to your goals rather than quitting because the idea seems too big or too hard to even start.

Recently, I have started to reflect on my goals, dreams, and aspirations, and I have realized that so many of them have been sitting on a shelf collecting dust. The idea may have at one point had endless enthusiasm behind it, hope, and intentions, but it lacked a real first step. I am the queen of creating dreams that never make it out of the hypothetical front door.

So, because of my recent epiphany and my constant need to help others- solicited or not- let's figure this out together. I have been doing these things to aid in my first step taking so why not join me? We can help hold one another accountable. Because let's be real, this isn't easy.

Instead of just dreaming, start by writing it down. Write down what you want to accomplish whether that is a small or large goal something career oriented or a social goal. Then, write down the steps that you will take to achieve your goal. Each move you make in life will seem much easier and more meaningful if it is mapped out with intention. Make it a habit.

Once you've made a plan, take the 10 minutes out of each day to start putting your plan into action. Turn 10 minutes into 20 until you have completed whatever task or goal that you've been dreaming about for so long but have never done anything about.

You can do this, we can do this, all that it takes is the first step.