How Studying Abroad Can Change Your Life

"Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer." --Unknown Author

18
PlayBuzz

When I was a junior in high school, I got the most exciting news ever: I had taken enough Spanish courses to qualify for the miniature study abroad program that my school organized. Having never been out of the country, I immediately jumped on the chance and asked my parents if they would help financially so I could go. They very willingly agreed once they heard the amazing opportunities that I would get to experience.

Around six months later, I was on a plane with thirty of my classmates ready to head to Spain. Little did I know, this plane ride would lead to one of the greatest experiences of my lifetime (to date).

In a matter of nine days, I traveled to five Spanish cities – Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba, Toledo, and Madrid – and participated in some activities that some would only dream possible. I’m not sure of too many people that I talk to who can say they participated in Spanish cooking lessons while overlooking the city of Toledo or went to a gypsy village in the mountains to learn flamenco dancing in one of the many caves the villagers had turned into homes.

But nine days was not nearly enough for me no matter how many stories I created from the experience. Only getting the chance to travel within one country left me wanting more. I was beyond grateful for the opportunity that my parents had given me, but I was greedy – I wanted to travel and explore.

I wanted to experience the world more freely in all of its vastness.

This past summer, I had another opportunity presented to me. As an International Business Management major, it is required that I study abroad, but I would have hopped on that plane no matter what, figuring out how to pay for everything at some other time.

Much like before, when I presented the idea of going to England and Ireland with my university’s business school study abroad program to my parents, they were more than thrilled to support me. London had been a city I had dreamed of visiting for years and my dad’s side of the family is from Ireland – something that I proudly proclaim, particularly on March 17 every year. This was a chance not only to travel, but also to check two countries that I always dreamed of visiting off my bucket list.

I relished my time in the beautiful city of London, and could honestly see myself moving there sometime in my future. The fast pace, the history, the culture – it was everything that I dreamed it would be. I got to see the sights, explore the city, and navigate the infamous Tube/Underground. By the time I left two weeks later, I felt like I had been living the London life for my entire twenty years.

Dublin also proved to be an easily adaptable experience, and I give most credit for that to the locals who were more than willing to help. (Side note: Londoners were also very kind to my classmates and I, but more program participants seemed to find Dubliners more willing to help). There was not a moment where we were not welcomed into a conversation without a smile, which made the city feel like a home more than a study abroad experience. Plus, the chance to learn old, Irish folk songs and jigs that went with them in a pub (pictured below) was an experience that I will never forget. There’s nothing quite like clinking your glass of Guinness with a group of American students and professors while belting Molly Malone at the top of your lungs.

This second chance at studying abroad, gave me a new insight as to what it is all about. I left the airport in Chicago knowing four to five people on my trip and left Europe knowing thirty-three wonderful classmates, three professors, and their spouses who made the trip that much more enjoyable.I got to London, clueless as to what side of the street I should look to first before crossing (Yeah, that’s right, Americans – not everyone drives on the right side of the road, remember?) to walking with confidence to my bus stop, hopping on the right bus, navigating the Tube by myself, and walking the streets of Westminster on a beautiful afternoon.

I left Chicago not knowing much about the whole issue (or nonissue depending on what side of the vote you are on) of “Brexit” to having countless conversations with British citizens about the ordeal and gaining a true understanding of what British politics are like. I even got to witness the introduction of the new Prime Minister, Theresa May.

I learned about the school systems and cultures of the countries my trip was focused in as well as countries I visited on my own such as France (where I ironically found myself at the Tour De France without knowing it was taking place the weekend I was staying there) and The Netherlands. I was lucky enough to be placed on a small boat tour of the Amsterdam canals with a kind German couple that gave my friends and I insight into the German culture along with the insight our Dutch tour guide gave us about the Dutch culture. They all provided us with great history lessons as well.

Study abroad is not just a chance to go to Europe or Africa or Asia or Australia or wherever else you may find appealing. It is not just a chance to drink copious amounts of alcohol because you may not be allowed to quite yet back in the States. It is a chance to enrich your life, your general knowledge, and your knowledge of the world around you. In such a global society where other countries are so easy to get in contact with – where politics and policies and alliances change every day – it is so important for us to experience something like study abroad. As college students who are set to join this global world more prominently in the coming years, it is vital that we learn how to interact with our counterparts in different countries.

Of course, don’t get me wrong – it is a great time chilling in a pub/bar or club with your friends enjoying a nice brew. But try to make the most of it. Seek out that Irish local who will tell you about his family history all the way back to its beginning before you two start singing folk songs together with the live musician. Find the Dutch bar owner who cares more about teaching you the ways of the Dutch culture and welcoming you to his home than he is about making sales. Find the British employees who will tell you all about workers’ benefits in the UK while you wait at the bar for your drinks.

Because of my two experiences, I am a huge advocate for participating in a study abroad experience. Not only will you come out of it with travel experience that not many young people can speak about, but you gain more cultural knowledge than you thought possible. Besides, most of us will soon be stuck in an office or married and taking care of kids. Who knows when the next opportunity to travel will be? If you make the most if it, study abroad can and will change your life.

All photos taken by/belong to McKenzie Burns