Students Protesting Creates Change

The Student Protests At Madison Comprehensive High School In Mansfield, OH Is Proof That The Next Generation Is Making Change

We're refusing to sit back and watch as adults make decisions that affect our lives in huge ways.

360

Imagine being punished by school administrators for using social media to state an opinion. Imagine showing support for said opinion and being punished as well. For the students of my former high school, they didn't have to use their imagination.

I graduated from Madison Comprehensive High School in Mansfield, Ohio. The year after my graduation, the district superintendent retired and a new one was hired. Because of problems with the previous superintendent, everyone in the district was optimistic about the position changing hands. At first glance, this new superintendent seemed like the refreshing change of pace and curriculum that our schools needed.

But only a few short months into the school year, it was clear that everyone's assumptions were wrong. The new superintendent started a pattern of showing very little compassion or respect for some of the high school's most valuable and beloved teachers. There was a clear abuse of power and it became clear that the well being of students was low on her list of priorities. Even after encountering resistance by the district's board of education, her disruptions continued.

Everything came to a head earlier this month when a student took to Twitter to express their opposition of her and her plans for the district. The next day, the student was called down to the office and given in-school detention. Several other students again took to social media to show their support for this student and to agree with his original post, and they to were given in-school detention. Keep in mind, these were honors students. Good grades, no record of ever having caused trouble, with high participation in school sports and clubs.

And even if they hadn't been, there's still no reason that their education should be compromised by sending them to a full day of detention for simply stating an opinion that most of the district shared.

Despite complaints from students and their parents, nothing changed.

I'll admit, I didn't expect much to come of the entire situation. I expected angry posts and tweets and to hear about it from friends I still had in the high school, but I didn't think things would change. I did what everyone in school administration did, and I underestimated the power of students with voices. I underestimated the power of kids, most of whom aren't even of voting age, to create discussion and prompt change.

When several students posted about planning a school walk-out to protest all of the unfairness they'd experienced under the new superintendent, I didn't think it would actually happen, at least not to the scale they had planned.

The day of the walk-out rolled around, and I can't explain the surge of pride I felt for my former high school when I read that over 200 students participated in their peaceful protest. Looking through pictures of so many students standing together for a cause they felt so passionately about, united and all wearing red in solidarity, I realized I was crazy to ever doubt them.

I was so inspired by this group of students. From freshmen to seniors, band kids to football stars, straight-A students to "problem" kids. Every group was represented. They had the support of teachers, parents, former students, community members, and even some of the administration.

The next day, an emergency board meeting was held and the superintendent was relieved of her duties.

When you listen to kids, to students, to the 'millennial' generation that everyone loves to hate, you realize that the youth know so much more than you give them credit for. We're not stupid, we're not crazy, and we're not indifferent. We listen, we see the destruction happening around us, whether it be locally or nationally, and we want to change it. Unfortunately, we hardly get the chance to be heard because people have a tendency to dismiss the opinions of teenagers on sight.

This generation and the ones that follow are making waves. We're refusing to sit back and watch as adults make decisions that affect our lives in huge ways.

The refusal of Madison students to be indifferent and their ability to peacefully protest is how change is made. It's proof that the opinions of teens and students shouldn't be counted out.

To my former high school, I'm so proud to be a Ram. I'm proud to come from a place that can make things like this happen. Keep standing your ground.