Students And COVID-19: Our New Normal

Students And COVID-19: Our New Normal

The Coronavirus has impacted everyone in some way, including education for students.

60
Students And COVID-19: Our New Normal
Unsplash

If you would have told me a month ago I would be writing a post like this, I would have said you were crazy.

In a very short timeframe, everyone's lives have been turned upside down. Coronavirus has effected basically every aspect of people's lives. Where and how they work, who they see on a daily basis, the events they go to and even buying basic necessities like food and toilet paper. It blows me away how quickly life can completely change. As I said, the virus has affected everyone but for the purposes of this writing, I wanted to focus on how it affects students.

No matter what grade or level of education a student is in right now, their educational experience has changed drastically. Many colleges and universities have canceled in-person classes and most students have returned home. Some students that are in elementary, middle and high school have been told that their school has closed and they are uncertain how they finish out the rest of the year. All of this has caused extreme stress onto students and I just wanted to say, I'm right here with you.

I am a college student who is trying to transition into learning in an all-online format. Having to learn in a completely new way in the middle of the semester is not ideal, to say the least. I have had to change how I work, my work schedule and trying to find a balance between being productive but still taking breaks. It has not been easy and it hasn't even been three weeks yet. So, to anyone struggling with trying to find a new routine at home with online classes, it's okay because everyone is in the same boat.

Having to learn in a new way is a challenge no doubt but I am mostly saddened about what students will be missing during this time of uncertainty. Graduation ceremonies, on-campus events, proms and so much more have either been canceled or are up in the air. There are many important aspects to school/education like these ones that students will be missing. This is one of the worst parts for me. Getting an education involves all of these experiences, the events, the dances and even sitting in a classroom with a teacher or professor. It's all important to receiving a well-rounded education and now students will be missing this.

I know the Coronavirus is a very serious issue and all of the cancellations and closings are justifiable. I am not trying to discredit any institutions for taking precautionary measures in ensuring the health and safety of their faculty and student body. I know we have to do what we have to do, but it is just very unfortunate for everyone. However, I want to end by saying that we will get through this and that there is light at the end of this long tunnel. We will learn and adapt to this new normal in hopes of returning to the actual normal way of life soon. But for now, I encourage you to take all of the precautionary measures in place and take them seriously. Also, I know online classes are a challenge but it is nothing we can't handle. Try your best to stay accountable and know you can rise to the challenge.