Stuck

Stuck

Stuck: To remain in a static condition; the failure to progress.

Are we stuck living in the past? Stuck at home? Stuck in a rut?

7
Stuck

When I googled the definition of the word stuck I knew the general idea, but I was blown away to find this definition to be so devastatingly relevant. Remaining in a static condition where there is failure to progress seems like such a fitting definition of the times we are currently living in.

There seems to be a lot of waiting and hoping and dreaming of days where we will once again resume our normal routines and the world will go back to its normally scheduled turning. We will once again return to our busy hustle and bustle of our everyday lives where we are all consumed by our own problems and flying by the seat of our pants.

This morning I was struck with the realization that I have struggled the worst during times of boredom and having too much time on my hands. I wonder why that is? Am I so accustomed to being constantly entertained that I no longer bear the ability to sit, rest and learn through the waiting process?

I feel the need to fill my life with meaningful and good things, but I realize there are very few moments in my life where I have ever had the chance to slow down and truly appreciate the people in my life and the circumstances I was in.

The second part of the definition says there is failure to progress. Although I have felt stuck during quarantine, I don't think the second part of this definition is entirely true. There is always room for improvement.

I used to have a hard time studying the book of Job because he endured so many trials and fought restlessly with God and I never understood why that book of the Bible was important. I always felt helpless and depressed after reading it. Job endured some of the most horrific trials and tribulations and yet he still cried out to God in the midst of them. There were times where he was angry at God and hurt and confused and blamed Him for his problems, but nonetheless, he was still crying out to Him.

Job was stuck. Stuck in pain, in trials, in the waiting. Job wasn't perfect and definitely didn't do things right at times, but he still went humbly to the Lord with his pain and his feelings and expressed them boldly to the Lord. He also confessed his shortcomings and his failures.

It is because of Job's trials and sufferings that he had a close relationship with the Lord. It is because of those times of hitting rock bottom that he fell on his face before the Lord crying out to him. Yes, Job was stuck and his life was rough, but there was so much progress made throughout his process of being stuck.

I hope that during this season of feeling helplessly stuck, that I am finding ways to cry out to the Lord about my feelings, failures, and desires. I hope that I am reaching out to the people in my life for encouragement when I need it. Lastly, I hope I am being a friend who offers encouragement and an open invitation to anyone needing it.

Life is tough and right now I may feel pretty stuck, but I refuse to remain static and without progress. I will look for ways to better myself and I will look back on this season of my life one day and be proud of the person I became during this process. I hope this encourages you to do the same.