Election 2016

Election 2016

The struggle to vote.

9
Election 2016
gannett-cdn.com

The election this year is shaping up to be an interesting one. I get to vote for the first time and look at what line up I'm stuck with. I mean come on, who decided this line up was a good one?

I was excited at first. I finally get to have a say in who runs the country and who is in charge of the military because of my interest to potentially serve after college. I finally after years of watching the debates and seeing my parents vote I had a say. At first, the candidates were not bad and there were a few from both parties that I was paying attention to. But them everyone started to drop out left and right. That was hard to watch. It was hard to keep track of who was still in the running. So when I heard who was left running, I was shocked.

First, we have someone who has no experience in politics. He has declared business bankruptcy multiple times.He is inspiring others to vote for him out of fear. He is playing on the fact that racism is still prominent in society. He knows that if he can get others to fear the worst, he will win. The Mexicans he speaks of are not all criminals or bad people. I have friends who have been here and have done the right thing. The Muslim population is also in fear. They have been treated poorly for what religion they follow. But isn't America built on the backs of freedom of religion? Donald Trump is not who anyone should vote for based on these reasons.

The next candidate is not any better. She has had the FBI investigating her for a while. It has been decided that she is not to have any charges brought up against her. She accepted money from foreign governments. She claims to want equality for women and no longer have a pay gap. Check out her numbers in her company, men are making a lot more. The company is the Clinton foundation where women are paid 38% less then men. Another thought, do we really want a Clinton dynasty in the white house? We already had a Bush one. Hillary is not any better than the Republican nominee.

The past few elections have not been pretty. Everyone is voting for "the lesser of two evils" instead of voting for the person who can best do the job. I am confused on how these people are gaining so much momentum and winning. I am honestly confused and torn about who to vote for. I don't want either of them to win. However I don't want to vote for a third party candidate that doesn't have a shot at winning. I want my vote to count, whether to say I got them in or I kept them out. But that means I'm just like anyone else who is voting for the "lesser of two evils." Is this really what I want to become just like everyone else?