Struggles Of Growing Up With A Mixed Sibling

"Does he have hazel eyes?!" No.

1111
Happily Mixed Up

For several years, I've wanted a sibling. Don't get me wrong, the perks of being a single child were great (extra attention, toys, money, food, getting away with drawing on the walls with crayons...). But, sometimes, it just got a little lonely. Not having a Player 2 when I played my Playstation or having someone play pranks with made being a single child really boring. So one day I asked my mom for a sibling.

Surprisingly, the next day, I got that wish.

With another surprise, we would have different dads. Specifically, he would have a white dad.

To my 8 year old self, having different dads was barely a concern of mine because HELL YEAH I HAVE A SIBLING! Despite him technically being my half-brother, I still love him and treat him the same. However, growing up, I've noticed a lot of interesting interactions and situations that took place that made me realize having a mixed-race sibling has a lot more baggage than I thought. Here's some lovely things we've experienced:

"Is that REALLY your brother?"

(source: http://shebeingme.tumblr.com/post/86602795504/side...)

No, I picked up this child at the local mixed race baby store with a 40% discount. You can get the after-Christmas sales right now, actually.

"What is he?" *Wide eyes and gaping mouths*

(source: http://jezebel.com/kate-middleton-gives-side-eye-l...)

I never understood why instead of asking what his ETHNICITY is, people love to treat mixed children like a special breed of animal. My brother is actually a corgi/Yorkshire terrier mix.

"He's gonna grow up and be hot!"

(source: http://andthendavidsaid.tumblr.com/post/7948124366...)

Okay first of all, please stay very far away from my brother. Secondly, fetishizing mixed children is gross and reducing a 12 year old child down to his looks simply because he is biracial is not okay. You're only complimenting his Blackness because it's - to you - enhanced by White genes. Also, not all biracial kids are black and white, so you look extremely disgusting by zeroing in only on those backgrounds.

"His hair is so curly! Can I touch it?"

(source: http://blog.authortracybrown.com/2012/07/side-eye-...)

My brother is not an exhibit. No.

"Which side does he associate with the most?"

(source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/53128470579765789/)

One, he's twelve. He has no distinction between what side is which. All he cares about are his video games. Secondly, he is raised normally, without a specific preference for one race.

Inevitably, being that my brother is biracial, uncomfortable conversations and situations will occur that he will have to be aware of, but for the time being, I let him live his childhood with the glee he needs.

Please, stop asking how your naturally straight-haired son can have tight curls like my brother. Thanks.