There are many reasons for people to stretch their ears. Regardless of the reason, we all get the same few questions from friends, family and strangers. With ear stretching becoming more popular as the years go on, it still doesn't make them any less of an anomaly. Allow me to show you the most common questions/statements and answers to them.
1. Did it hurt?Giphy
Did your last piercing and/or tattoo hurt? Yes, of course it hurt. It's not the type of pain to make you faint, but it's pretty uncomfortable. If the pain is unbearable, you're doing something very wrong.
2. How did you do it?Giphy
There are tapers that help enlarge the hole. You stretch the hole using tapers, keep the taper until the flesh is loose enough that you can put jewelry in your ear. (Google is your friend.)
3. Will it ever go back to normal?Giphy
If you take care of your ears and stretch slowly and safely, most likely unless you go too big. Otherwise, surgery. In short: it's possible to go back to "normal".
4. What do you call those?Giphy
Stretched ears. "Gauge" refers to the size, example 4 gauge or 0 gauge. The jewelry you can see through are called tunnels. Ones you can't see through are plugs. Ones you use to size up are tapers.
5. Can I touch it/ Can I put my finger through it?Giphy
6. Is it heavy?Giphy
It depends on the material the jewelry is made of. There's acrylic, wood, steel, titanium, glass/Pyrex, niobium, bone, horn, stone, and silicone.
Why do you wear a cheetah print shirt with zebra print pants, Gertrude? Personal taste.
8. "I personally wouldn't get them, but they look good on you!"Giphy
While this may have good intentions, this is incredibly rude. "I wouldn't personally have a neon purple house, but you look great living in it!"
9. "Don't go any bigger! Stay at that size!"Giphy
This may surprise you but they are my ears. If I want to go bigger, I will.
10. Aren't you going to regret them?Giphy
Much like tattoos, stretched ears have become a huge part of my identity. They make me feel confident in how I look, so who are you to shame me for it?
- Infrequently Asked Questions: Do ear gauge holes close? | PhillyVoice ›
- AWFUL MODS • STRETCHING: Frequently Asked Questions ›
- Ear Stretching Guide | How To Stretch / Gauge Your Ears ›
- Answering Questions About My Stretched Ears - YouTube ›
- Ear Lobe Stretching FAQ - Onetribe ›
- File:Young woman with stretched ear piercing.jpg - Wikimedia Commons ›