What I Stressed About Before the First Day of Law School

It's not as serious as you think

53
www.youtube.com

When thinking about law school, my mind automatically goes to type-A personalities, an incredible amount of reading, and most obviously, the law.

In preparation for my first day of law school, I did all the typical things someone would for their first day of school: gathered an array of colored pens and other supplies, picked out a cute, yet casual outfit, and finished any assigned reading. Little did I know that I had overstressed myself out for no reason.

I thought that people would judge me based on what I was wearing, if I fit in with the people of my classes, would I even make any friends? All normal thoughts going into a new school and all not necessary.

Sure, the reading was made up of concepts completely foreign to me, but it was the same for most other people in my class, as well. I had put so much pressure on what I thought my first day would be like that I was certainly presently surprised that it was not as difficult as I had made it out to be in my head.

I realized after attending the first class, that I had such preconceived notions of what law school would be like that it was doable, enjoyable even. That may not be the same experience for everyone, seeing as I am genuinely interested in the material, but I guarantee whatever has been built up in your head is not as bad as it will be.

I thought that everyone would be so competitive and out to get each other when in reality, everyone is trying to make friends in this new environment. I was under the impression that my readings would be chock full of legal jargon that I didn't understand. But those are only really key terms that explained to laypeople.

Quite honestly, it's exactly like undergrad, just with new material.

Taking it one step at a time, anyone can tackle the seemingly insurmountable task of graduating law school. I may take that back during finals time, but for right now, law school is a curious thing. Not to be taken lightly, but better than it seems.