Stress Management For A Colege Student

Stress Management For A Colege Student

If you feel like your brain is melting under the crush of books, classes, and papers, don’t freak out. Follow these stress-management tips to help relieve the pressure.

40
Stress Management For A Colege Student

College is a time for fun, excitement, new friendships and new activities. While all of this can be extremely exciting, sooner or later we all have to face the harsh truth: there will be coursework, and along with coursework there will be stress. Here are some pointers before the classes truly kick in at full force to help you manage your stress and get moving.

1. Eat well.

A steady diet of pizza and ramen noodles can lead to energy ups and downs which can lead to a lower threshold for stress. You will end up eventually feeling very tired and looking for the same junk food to kick your energy back up, leading into a lower and lower tolerance for what is around you. I know it’s hard in college, but look for a diet including all types of food — you’re allowed to have that occasional cup of ramen noodles, but remember that in the long run it will not be best for your well-being.

2. Exercise.

When you’re stressed, moving around may be the last thing you feel like doing. But as little as 20 minutes of physical activity a day can reduce stress levels. As for what type of exercise, try something that you enjoy doing, like swimming or yoga. If you force yourself to run three miles a day (and you hate it), you will eventually give up and get stressed out over choosing doing that, which was meant to reduce your stress in the first place.

3. Avoid unnatural energy boosters.

Artificial stimulants like caffeine pills or prescription meds may help you stay awake for that all-night study session, but putting off your body’s need to sleep will ultimately result in an energy crash, resulting again in a greater susceptibility to stress.

3. Get emotional support.

Adjusting to college can be difficult, and venting your frustrations to a trusted friend can go a long way in fighting stress. Choose a friend or family member who won’t be judgmental or try to give lots of advice. Or seek the help of a professional counselor or psychologist. To find a trusted practitioner, check with your student health center for recommendations; if you feel uncomfortable verbally expressing your needs, a journal is always a safe outlet.

4. Don’t give up your passions.

Your schedule may be filled with lectures and study groups, but try to find at least a couple of hours each week to pursue a hobby or other activity that you enjoy. Do something that you love. Not sure what your passion is? Visit Findmyhobby.com, a directory of Web sites devoted to almost every kind of pastime and feel free to explore! You’re a college student! The world is your oyster!

5. Try not to overload yourself.

Between classes, extracurricular groups, and maybe even a job, it’s easy for students to take on more than they can handle. If you’ve signed up for an excessive number of courses, don’t be afraid to drop one, and remember that you can always say no when you’re asked to organize the Latin Club’s annual yard sale. “Take good, loving care of yourself,” Forbes says. “You are your own parent from here on out. Start caring for yourself like you would for a child in your charge.”

6. Avoid relaxing with alcohol.

Having three or four beers to unwind after a hard day of studying may seem perfectly logical, but any unresolved stress that you have will just come flooding back after your buzz subsides. Plus, if you overindulge, you may have to deal with unpleasant side effects, like nausea and hangovers later on. If you find yourself drinking regularly before noon, become anxious at the prospect of not drinking, trust me, it won't be worth it.

7. Breathe.

When you feel stressed, deep-breathing exercises can help melt away the tension. Try this exercise: Inhale slowly through your nose (I breathe in for eight counts), hold the breath for a few seconds (usually for two), then exhale through your mouth (for eight), and repeat as needed. This helps prevent the short, shallow breaths that often accompany feelings of tension.

8. Get a massage.

If you’re feeling frazzled, try putting yourself in someone else’s hands — literally. Stress often causes your muscles to become tight and knotted, and a professional massage therapist (or even a friend) can help to loosen them, providing stress relief.

When it feels like the stress of college life is becoming too much, just remember to be easy on yourself, not everything will be perfect — and that's okay! Hopefully, with these pointers you can adjust easier and simply relax.