3 Ways To Prevent Feeling Overwhelmed And Blocking The Road To Good Grades

It isn't always easy to multi-task.

92
Estée Janssens

As the weeks begin to roll by, the assignments tend to pile up. No matter the amount of dates you've scribbled down in an agenda, there seems to be an assignment that is accidentally missed or worked on late into the night because it kept getting put off and you didn't realize how much work it would really be.

Too bad--I became one of the students who missed two assignments this past week, due to the fact that I was swamped with what it seemed like to be hundreds of other small assignments. The assignments were color-coded in my agenda but time had just seemed to slip away. When I had realized that I was falling behind, I had the classic college mental breakdown. The moment where you've made one mistake but feel like you've just ruined it all.

I don't believe that any type of breakdown will ever be enjoyable, but it did open my eyes to not letting stress overwhelm you when you are feeling a tad behind. School is a challenge for me each day due to a brain injury, and sometimes it is easy to just want to throw in the towel and not study anymore for that exam that is around the corner. However, if school or life in general might be overwhelming you, here are 3 ways to help prevent getting overwhelmed:

1. Give yourself a break while cramming for an exam.

No matter what class it is, after reading a textbook for hours on end, every word seems to squish together. The concept made sense in the beginning, but with all the highlighter marks and notes everywhere, at this point the overall message of the chapter is starting to fade. Get up, stretch your body and try to take a small walk. Even if you are studying in a small space and the only place to walk to is the door, this break will help you clear your mind and help your brain prepare to focus again.

2. Take the time to reorganize your schedule to something that fits.

As tempting as it is to join as many activities as you can to boost your resume, do not bite off more than you can chew. If there is something you have an interest in joining, see how it works with all your other obligations first. Although being the president of a club or a member of a committee might be on your to-do list, staying on schedule with assignments and having a good night's sleep is just as important.

3. Try and step out of the box you might have accidentally put yourself in.

Remember that there is a world outside of school, work, and other obligations. In the window of time that there is a break, meet with a friend to grab coffee or have a bite to eat. Go to the gym to work off some of the stress that has been piling up on your shoulders, and keep in mind that there is always a time to take a nap. If you are not the napping type of person, simply laying in bed and putting your phone aside can help load up some energy.