10 Reasons "Stranger Things 2" Wasn't Great, It Was Just "Ehh"

This was a letdown for everyone who has been counting down since season one.

6073

Last year, everyone was talking about how the first season finale was leading into a highly-anticipated second season, Stranger Things 2.

This year, we finally get a glimpse into the Upside Down again, but this time, with new characters and monsters. Before I watched this new season, I was so excited that I even planned Saturday and Sunday to binge watch it.

However, when I finished the season, I was left with much-needed questions and concerns about what I had just seen. If you love Stranger Things, you might want to read on.

1. The chemistry of the kids wasn't there.

Gang of Kids

One of the main reasons why people enjoyed Stranger Things is because of the kids.

I am 100% sure that if it wasn’t for the kids, no one would have enjoyed the show. In Stranger Things season two, we get a look into each of the kids lives a year later after the incidents of Will ending up in the “Upside Down.”

I am not sure what but I felt that the chemistry between all four kids wasn't as strong as season one.

Sure, they hung out and talked a lot more this season, but it seemed as if that same nostalgia feeling from season one was not in this season. All of their roles seemed to just be “eh” or doing their own thing with other people, which led to the finale. Lucas was with Mad Max, Dustin was with Steve, Mike was with Will, Eleven was with Officer Jim Hopper, Nancy was with Jonathan, do you see where I am going with this?

2. What was the point of Mad Max's role?

If you take Mad Max out, you still have a complete season two. Nothing is missing.

It’s literally the same season, same story. I wasn’t too sure why she was in this season quite honestly. It would have made plenty of sense if her older brother was a part of the “gang” that 08 was a part of and having been in trouble countless times, him and his sister had to “relocate”?

Yeah, not the case.

Mad Max role was to counter Eleven “missing” role (until she comes back and meets the original childhood friends). I can understand the writer's intentions with her but it just seemed unnecessary.

She was the least favorite character I liked this season because she had no purpose. I take that back, her only purpose was to stop her brother from bullying the Lucas and beating Steve up.

Other than that, she has the highest score in the game bar.

3. Why was 008 even introduced?

Now I’m not going to lie, when the season two opener introduced 008, I was excited.

She was with a gang of misfits that were going around after people that “supposedly” hurt her when she and 011 were young. I thought that was a good idea and that her abilities were different than 11’s.

As the season progressed, I started to wonder, “Ok, where is she? Why isn’t she in the season that much? How is her role going to connect back to the main stories?” Well, it's 50/50. I understand why her character was in the season, but her role would have made a better impression if she was introduced at the end of season two for season three.

Think about it.

You find out that the monster from this season has survived the crazy exorcism of Will AND that 11 has a long-lost sister who has been hunting people down from the lab? You would get pretty excited for that.

The whole episode of her going to visit her sister, in my opinion, was random and out of the way.

4. The best character wasn't Eleven, Will, Hopper, or anyone else. It was Billy.

In my opinion, the best character this whole season.

I commend Dacre Montgomery’s performance all the way. He absolutely killed the role of being a bully. Every time he was on screen, I wondered what he was going to do next. His role presented such an enigma character to the viewers.

He presented tension whenever he was on screen, was written extremely well for this season, and even created obstacles for the other characters for the show. I really hope they continue to use him in season 3. Would have been perfect if he was apart of “008” gang.

5. What was Cthulhu doing in Stranger Things?

After seeing the new trailer of Stranger Things and seeing that there were more to the upside down than the Demogorgan, I was all in!

The creature aka “Mind Flayer” is a mix of the monster in Cloverfield and what looks to be a Kaiju from the Godzilla movie in 2014. I was a fan of the monster but I had my concerns about the motives.

First off, the monster is a fog/ghost-like creature that can possess people.

One of its main motives is to possess and control things in the other realms, since it doesn’t know where “its” home really is. If that's the case, why didn’t the creature posse other creatures in the real world and use its possession to jump from one soul to another?

If its motive is to control then it should have used Will to possess more people in the real world. Nevertheless,

6. The romances in Stranger Things 2 were bleh.

There are three main relationships that we are introduced to this season.

Bob / Joyce: I found this relationship a tad bit weird.

Off the back, we find out that Joyce is seeing Bob through their interaction at the grocery store. In my opinion, we have two different personalities colliding.

You have this brave, courageous but reserved person interacting with this goofy, nerdy, but outgoing person? Right from the back, I knew Bob was not going to die when he encouraged Will to face his fears.

Bob’s chemistry would have been better if he was in season one to set up the climax of his character in 2. Don’t get me wrong, I liked his character, but his character should have had more of a connection with either the children or Joyce in season one.

Lucas / Mad Max: This was unnecessary.

I was a tad bit confused on why this relationship was forming from the get-go. Their relationship formed from a ripple effect of choices from them spying on Max to the middle dance in which both Lucas and Max kiss.

I didn’t see a need for their relationship. Clearly, we see that Max older brother, Billy, has a problem with his little “sister”, especially if she is communicating with boys. I admired that they introduced “tension” but it would have been better if they introduced “racial tension” in Billy towards Lucas.

This would have created a more appealing story rather than them liking each other through another crazy event. Or have her character like both Dustin and Lucas.

Nancy / Jonathan: It's obvious that these two liked each other from the latter part of season one.

There is definitely a love triangle going on between Nancy, Jonathan, and Steve. Not going to lie, I did not think to care about Nancy getting with Jonathan. Once they got together, I wasn’t even phased.

I was like, “That’s it? Ok.” Then you have Steve who's trying to win her back but instead goes and helps the kids again. Much like Bob and Joyce’s relationship, their relationship was just out there and became annoying rather than useful. Let me reword what I just said before people become confused.

7. The cussing was over the top.

In season one, I like the fact that the kids cursed every blue moon to make it seem as if cursing was still “taboo."

This season, not so much. Dustin cursed almost every time he spoke. It’s like I understand but I don’t? I liked the fact that in season one when he cursed, he did it because no other kid did it. In this season, I felt as if the writers made him cuss triple the amount as he did in season one to gain the audience attention.

This made me not like his character because he out of every other character cussed way too much when he shouldn’t have. This isn’t his fault but rather than the writer.

8. Demogorgan dogs, demodogs, whatever, weren't believable.

I have Pros and Cons of the Demogorgon in season two.

Pros: I like the fact that we, the viewers, are able to see the reproductive origins of the species.

How its mutated over time and eventually becomes a small “dog” was really interesting. Another thing I liked about them was the fact that they grew extremely rapidly than normal animals. It made sense to how the Demogorgan from the first season emerged.

The Cons: at the rate at which the Demodogs were growing, by the climax of the season, they should have been fully grown like the one in season one. I don’t understand how Dustin’s “pet” was able to grow from a slug to dog-form in the span of ⅔ episodes and continue to be that same size.

At Least have the creature develop another stage before its full size. Another problem I had with the Demodogs was the fact that their only motives were being controlled by the “Mind Flayer.”

9. Why is Will the only one that seems affected by all the stuff that went down in season one?

Everyone went back to their normal lives it seemed.

If I saw a Demogorgon, I would be shellshocked. What do they do instead? Everyone goes back to their regular lives. The only person who is struggling, of course, is Will, which I can understand. Mike is going through withdrawals of 11 being missing, which makes sense. Joyce seems a little distraught at times but everyone else seems fine.

I really wish they added more time between season one and season two.

10. Who was Dr. Sam Owens supposed to be?

I have no idea what Dr. Sam Owens goal was to achieve this season. First off, we don’t even get to know who this man is.

It’s as if the writers just threw him in it because he was apart of the same organization lab that Dr. Martin was apart of. Second, his research and educated guesses weren’t even as close to Dr. Martins. Like Max's character, if you delete his character from season two, you still have the same storyline.