Stranded In The Woods: A Break From Reality

I can laugh about it now.

4

A week ago, my group of friends from high school decided to take a trip to Butano State Park in Pescadero for the afternoon. The guys took the Jeep and the girls took the Honda. I drove my friends, Jen and Ellia. We blasted music and sang for the whole two-hour drive.

Once we finally arrived, my friend, Johnny, and I paid for two parking passes. I hopped back in my car, ready to drive through the park, but the guys could not. The ‘87 Jeep had died on them, and they had to push it into a parking spot down the way. We had no cell service, and had to drive about 20 minutes out of the park to get reception..

Throughout the afternoon, despite being down one car, the boys barbecued, and we enjoyed the summer weather and beauty of the woods. There was a bridge that you could sit on that overlooked the creek. Rabbits hopped by every so often. It was nice to take the time to actually be off our phones and enjoy nature and good company. It’s not every day that you go without your phone. My friends -- Joey, Johnny and David -- shared funny stories and told jokes while Kevin made our first fire.

We called AAA and were informed that a driver would arrive within the hour. That was at 5 p.m. Once it reached about 7:30 p.m., we drove out to a spot with service. This time, they said they’d arrive around 8:20. Back at the park, it began to get darker.

It also got colder. My friends thought it would be a good idea to listen to the end of the Warriors game and sit in the car as the night went on. Suddenly, my car shut off. My friend, David, jumped out of the passenger seat and attempted to start my car. Clink clink clink clink. Yup, now two cars were down. Kevin decided to start a second fire to keep us all warm. Finally, after about three or four cars, we found a park ranger with jumper cables.

Reaching 11 p.m, we decided to leave the Jeep and drive home. Johnny and Kevin’s parents ended up driving to us to get the Jeep. I drove everyone else home to San Mateo, but first stopped at McDonald's. When Johnny and his family got back to the park with his family, AAA arrived.

Although this day trip was not exactly what we had all planned, we all laughed about it, and took a six -hour break from our phones. It made me think that this is what it would have been like for our parents growing up, as they did not have cell phones to keep friends and family updated with texts, calls, Snapchats, and Instagrams. I realized that I actually enjoyed being off my phone for so long, and that I did not even feel the need to have one with my friends. I’m grateful for the friendships that I had made in high school, because every summer I’ll be able to make more memories with as years go on.