5 Reasons You Should Stop Wearing Oversized Comfort T-Shirt And Leggings To Class

I am guilty of the classic look of leggings and tee-shirts, but it's time to break that habit.

39

I love the classic college look of tee-shirts and leggings as much as the next college girl. Barely putting on makeup and throwing my hair into a ponytail and going to class "looking homeless" is so easy. However, I don't like what it does with my mood. Often this outfit of choice makes me feel unproductive, sloppy and extremely unmotivated. More times then not, I try to put a little more care into my outfits, it usually involves leggings or during the winter a big sweater, but it also makes me feel like I tried a little harder, making me feel more productive and motivated. Getting ready for class isn't the enemy, it's actually a saving grace.

1. Its practice for the real world

If you get into the habit of getting ready for class, it won't be such a horrible and daunting task when it comes to the real world. When you get a job, you will have to be at the office at 8 a.m. looking presentable. If you have the practice and a routine of getting ready and not living your life in oversized tee-shirts, it won't seem so hard to transition into the real-world expectation of looking like a human. You will already be used to wearing real life clothes, wearing makeup all day and will know how much time it takes you to get ready. This really is premium preparation that they don't teach you in class.

2. You will be more productive

There is a ton of studies that back up this point. The clothes you wear will affect your performance and productivity. Research shows that by dressing in formal clothing makes one more likely to have abstract thinking. While I am not suggesting you wear a suit or heels to class every day, try looking up so more classy, nice casual outfits, such as a tee-shirt, jeans, and a cardigan. It can be as simple as a nice shirt and leggings. The point is by physically looking nice will make you feel more put together and then you will be more successful. If you are lacking ideas on cute clothes to wear to class, Pinterest has tons of ideas, and often they are just as comfortable as your oversized sweatshirt but way more presentable. There is a reason why they say "dress for success."

3. You never know who you will meet

Imagine this, you are walking through the quad, and see the most handsome guy you have ever seen. He is dreamy, and totally your type, he is looking sharp, you make eye contact and then he gives you a half smile, does a once over of your outfit of choice: sweats and a sweatshirt that doesn't match and has a coffee stain. He gets the impression that you don't value yourself or your education enough to look presentable and he moves on. You are feeling insecure about your choice of clothing and don't try to win him over. Now imagine this situation but instead, you are wearing a super cute outfit that you are totally feeling like a boss in, and you start talking to the cute guy. After graduation, you get married and live out your happy ever after.

OK, I admit, this is a total stretch of a situation and I am not promising that you getting dressed up is going to get you a boyfriend (I wish it happened that way too). More realistically, a future employer comes into class to give a guest lecture, are you really going to walk up to them looking sloppy and like you don't care to ask for an internship opportunity? Probably not. But if you look like an adult, you might be getting yourself a job.

4. It can be embarrassing

My freshman self once experienced the most embarrassing situation that made me never want to wear a sweatshirt to class again. I was in a huge lecture and the professor called on me by the sweatshirt I was wearing, I sat there wondering why no one was replying until someone next to me said he is talking to you. I looked down at my shirt and the professor replied, "Do you not know what is on your sweatshirt?" And I replied it wasn't mine, and the whole class started laughing. This situation has never happened when I paid attention to the clothes I put on my body before walking into the classroom. This can go on for a lot more stories about how the homeless look has led to some embarrassing moments.

5. You will be more confident

I don't know about you, but I get nervous talking in class, and this anxiety is escalated when I know I don't look my best. It might be shallow, but I would much rather talk in front of a group when I have makeup on and feel good about how I look. Also, when it comes to tests, you are going to feel a lot more confident in your answers when you know you look like a boss. Getting dressed up is such a small thing that can really help boost your confidence, and even make you more productive and successful, that there is no reason to leave the house in your sloppy sweatshirt and sweats look again.