How To Get Off Your Phone And Stop Waiting For Him To Text You Back

Okay, we've ALL been there. You meet a guy, he's super nice and awesome and you're talking all the time. And then suddenly, you've been resigned to the once-a-day, "keep the streak" snap that includes a side smirk and half of his face, if you're lucky. And despite telling yourself "he'll text me when texts me, a watched pot never boils," you find yourself checking your phone throughout the day, just in case you missed his text and he's actually waiting for you to text him back. I'm gonna give it to you straight: if he wanted to talk to you, he would. So, with this in mind, how do you stop compulsively checking your phone.

1. Put your phone in another room 

Okay, if you're doing nothing but staying at home all day, why not put your phone in another room? Occupy your mind with something else, like a puzzle, book or painting. Play some video games or go take a walk with your dogs. There's no reason your phone needs to be by your side all day if you're just staying home all day — it's just going to tempt you to check it again and again.

2. Turn off your notifications 

Do you really need a notification every time someone likes your Instagram? Or sends you a Snapchat? Probably not! Reduce temptation to check your phone by turning notifications off for apps that you don't really need to be notified for (although I definitely recommend keeping notifications on for emails and messages, in case something important comes up).

3. Limit your screen time 

A lot easier said than done, I know. The iPhone has a really cool new feature that allows you to limit the amount of time you spend on certain apps. You can even set a "bedtime," where you won't be able to access those apps after a certain time. Use these features to limit the time you are able to spend on social media checking to see if he's online and the time you spend aimlessly scrolling and refreshing your apps.

4. Keep your phone on 'Do Not Disturb' during the day 

I keep my phone on "Do Not Disturb" at night so I'm able to use it as an alarm without getting notifications all night. Let that habit continue into the daytime. Without your phone letting you know someone texted you, you might be less likely to check your phone all day.

Look, I get it, it sucks waiting for someone to text you back. But remind yourself that you are worth it, and you shouldn't let whether or not someone deigns you worthy of a text. Spending all day checking your phone won't make a text come through. Now, that being said, some people just aren't great at texting. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Basically, don't get hung up on whether or not he's texting you and focus instead on being the best you possible. Qué será, será.