Stop Using Your Nationality To Throw A Pity Party, That's Lame AF

Would Selena Quintanilla, someone of Mexican decent like yourself have done the same? Nope, never.

37
HP Latina

Last night while scrolling through my newsfeed, I came across an Odyssey article titled, "How It Really Feels To Be Mexican In 2017 America." Before reading it I had anticipated the angle it would argue minus in actuality it was not — it was way worse.

Before I begin my argument, I just want to say that I am not being prejudiced in any way, shape or form. I am American of Italian and Ecuadorian decent so yes, I do have Hispanic in me.

Stereotypes will always exist. That's no secret and not one person should be that naïve. The truth of the matter is how you overcome them and conquer the path you self-create for the rest of your life. That goes for everyone whether you're White, Black, Asian, whatever.

Ironically enough, while also scrolling on Facebook before even coming across your article there was a debate I skimmed through. Someone that I respect despite having different viewpoints on certain things with said it best: "I speak Spanish and am literally the whitest girl, language isn't really an indicator."

She couldn't be more correct.

My mother speaks to me in Spanish at least half the time whether at home or in public. Who cares if your grandma speaks to you in another language? I've been there and done that for both Italian and Spanish.

My elders always had all my attention and respect, I wouldn't care if being stared at. I'm never ashamed, you shouldn't be either.

Now, what really gets me is how you stated that, "the truth is, there is no place for me and any other Hispanic in this place we call home." OK — so when you say home, I believe you are referring to the United States because if so, yes, this is YOUR home if this is all you know.

I don't know your background. I don't know in depth about instances where you had to overcome prejudice aside from those few sentences you shared with readers, so I am not going to sit here and pretend like I do. But what I do want to know is this: Who are you to tell everyone how all Hispanics feel about this?

Newsflash, amiga — you're so unbelievably wrong.

Due to my grandfather being in the military, it caused many international travels for my mother and her family. However, it was not until when my mother was 23 years old that she decided she wanted to move to the States.

She went through all the proper channels to come here legally. Though she already had a degree, she went back to school to learn and master her English. She did not take any hand-outs and worked her ass off to make something for herself because The United States was now her home.

Since she loved her new home so much she applied for citizenship and though it was not a speedy process she can now call herself an American — and does so, with pride and honor.

With her now obtaining dual citizenship, there is not a single moment that she's ever ashamed to be Hispanic.

There does not go one day where she is embarrassed about where she came from. There is not one day where she forgets her upbringing. I know for a fact there are tons of Hispanics/Latinos that made the very best of coming to this country while always remaining proud of their heritage.

If that ignorant statement you made stating that "all" Hispanics can't call the United State of America their home, think again. If you want to sneak in politics somehow to this argument that Trump "hates" Hispanics/Latinos or vice versa, you're wrong again.

Yes, he's building a wall but come on — that's to keep this country safe from intruders like those invading Europe currently. If someone wants to start a new life, the building of a wall should not change that but that's a discussion for another day.

Maybe people of other Hispanic/Latino based countries get it worse than the others, but that is not a good enough of an excuse to throw yourself a pity party. I mean, do you really think Selena Quintanilla— who was of Mexican decent like yourself did? No. She owned it, embraced it, and was proud of it.

So, how dare you try to speak for "all" Hispanics saying that there is zero place for them to call home in America. Tisk, tisk. They absolutely can.