Stop the Self-Derogatory Talk

Stop the Self-Derogatory Talk

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me -Philippians 4:13"

52
Stop the Self-Derogatory Talk
Andy Chrisman

We’ve all thought it, “I’m not good enough”. Whether it be in general or about a specific topic. I have found myself doubting my abilities about my performance in school this first week back in college. Also, this first week back around people after being secluded all summer I’ve heard how much people doubt themselves. It’s really discouraging to me because I know the self-derogatory words said are not true.

The Bible says in Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me”. Why should we doubt the ability to do anything if it is written that we can do it THROUGH GOD! That should reassure us in every moment we ever have doubt. Looking to the Lord give confidence, and that is an amazing thing!

1 Peter 1:18,19 says “Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot” which means as a child of God we are not “redeemed with corruptible things”. We are redeemed with the ONLY incorruptible thing, Jesus’ blood. We have Jesus inside of us, therefore don’t deny the person he is making you into. It may be a slow process, but God is there with you and as cliché as it sounds he has a plan for you. You will survive whatever you are going through with the Lord.

To conclude with Bible verses I will end with 1 Samuel 16:7 in which is written “But the Lord said unto Samuel, 'Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart'”. Although this verse is in relation to Samuel picking out the next king of Israel it can be translated to other situations. God looks on the inside of you. Your body is his creation, but your heart, your soul is what God wants to have a relationship with.

During those times of self-doubt remember that God will give you the confidence you need. There is never a time when you are not enough in his eyes. You are his creation, his child and he loves you. Never think you are not enough because you are not just you, Jesus is in your heart. I know all these sentences sound like clichés, but they have become clichés because they are true. Whatever you do, do it with the confidence of knowing the Lord is with you.