Stop Searching For Your People And Let God Do The Rest
Friendships

To The Person Who Can't Find Their 'People,' Stop Searching And Let God Do The Rest

He sent me my people and I'm forever grateful.

89
Ally Mishell Smith

Friendship friend·ship: the emotions or conduct of friends; the state of being friends.

When I started my freshman year of college, I struggled with finding my group of people that would always be my go-to for lunches, when I needed to rant about a teacher, or when I just needed someone to hang out with. In high school, I had the same group of friends for the last two years of school. We lost some and gained some, but for the most part, it was always the same group of people.

So, when I went to college and I didn't have the comfort of the same group of people, I freaked out. I didn't know what to do. I would try and plug into different activities and clubs to meet some people, but nothing would really stick. It wasn't until I gave my friendships to God that I started seeing the people who would become MY people. The past couple of years, I've learned that friendships and relationships that start with God in the center are the friendships that stick, as opposed to the friendships where God isn't interceding.

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and courageous. Wait for the Lord." — Psalm 27:14

When I started trusting God with my friendships rather than worrying so much about making my own, I realized that friendships are something where quality is over quantity. I started seeing who I could be vulnerable with and who was going to be in my life for the long haul. I stopped obsessing over the number of friends I had and started obsessing over who was encouraging and challenging me rather than bringing me down.

"Iron sharpens Iron, and one man sharpens another." — Proverbs 27:17

Your friendships should be challenging you. You should be making each other stronger. Think of a seesaw, For a seesaw to work, it takes two people. Both people have to put in the same amount of effort for the seesaw to work how it should and for it to be enjoyable. So why is it any different in our friendships/relationships? For the relationship to work, but people have to put in the same amount of effort. You have to push each other to be the best version of yourselves.

"A man with many friends may be harmed, but there is a friend who stays closer than a brother." — Proverbs 18:24

When you feel like no one is on your side and you won't ever find your people, don't lose hope. Have hope in Jesus that He will send you your people. Have an open heart and mind, and listen to Him when He tells you who your people are. He sent me my people and I'm forever grateful.