You're Never Going To Be Perfect, So Stop Pressuring Yourself To Be

When you set such unrealistic expectations for yourself to live up to, you will fail.

210
Georgette Stillman

To put it simply: Perfection is completely and utterly unattainable. When you set such unrealistic expectations for yourself to live up to, you will fail. So stop putting so much pressure on yourself to reach such a ridiculous standard.

Obviously, this is easier said than done, especially for perfectionists. Everything is a work in progress, a project, a goal to achieve, or a test to pass. But you're not being graded for your choices in life. Plus, we're human beings, not robots! Our feelings matter, we do stupid things sometimes, and we're bound to make mistakes.

Our imperfection isn't a flaw. It's just part of who we are.

Sure, society, ethics, and your own values might suggest what you should do and should be like. And you might feel some pressure from important people in your life (like family and friends) to succeed. To a certain extent, I think that pressure and anxiety are healthy. They can motivate you and give you a reason to try your hardest.

But when you start questioning your every move, getting frustrated with yourself over minor mistakes, and breaking down because you don't feel like you're ever enough, it's time to change.

There's a difference between self-improvement and self-depreciation.

I know that it's hard not to compare yourself to others. Stacey has her life together. Aaron's in multiple organizations and still makes Dean's List every semester. Rebecca has her dream job. The funny thing is, though, that their lives aren't as magical as they seem on social media. It's not an accurate portrayal of the hardships and stress that everyone feels on a daily basis. So there's no point in comparing yourself to others because they aren't living the same life that you are.

Grow at your own pace.

The takeaway here is that you need to love yourself. You need to give yourself more credit for your achievements. You've made it this far, and that in it and of itself is amazing. You need to treat yourself better. You're not a failure, a mistake, or a loser. You are enough. I hope that someday, you believe that.