Stop Making Me Feel Bad For Being Single

I really am happy.

471

I am truly happy being single, I really am, so please stop making me feel bad for it. There is nothing wrong with being single. Plenty of people are, so stop assuming that just because I am single I am unhappy and dying to meet "the one."

Most people don't come out and say it, but I get looks when I say I am single and happy about it. The looks that say, "There is no way you could possibly be happy on your own" but, I am while also pitying those people. I feel bad for people who don't love themselves enough to be happy while single, because those who are happy with themselves understand how I can be happy on my own.

Being single is great! I can go anywhere and do anything I want because I don't have to think of anyone but myself, which is great because I can be quite a handful. I can go on a date Friday night, or I can stay in with my best friends and eat Taco Bell and while watching Bob's Burgers.

I don't have to worry about buying birthday, Valentine's, Christmas or anniversary presents for someone who will never tell me what they want. I don't have to go through the awkwardness of who paid the bill for dinner last time, and is it my turn to pay?

Can I pretend I forgot my wallet for the second time this week? I don't have to be dragged to movies I don't want to see, or be stuck binging a show they swear I'll love, but I actually hate. I don't have to give up time with my friends to go hang out at a birthday party for a little cousin I barely know. The fact is I get to be independent, and I love that.

Don't get me wrong, I do want to settle down some day, but I'm not in a hurry. Dating can be great. It's nice to have someone you can depend on, will let you "forget" your wallet for the second time in a week slide and binge watch really dumb shows with you. It's nice knowing you have a shoulder to cry on when you're upset.

I understand this, but I see no reason to immediately throw away my freedom for the next handsome face that looks my way. I'm enough by myself. It took me awhile to figure that out, but now that I know, I want to enjoy my own company while there is only me. Please don't pity me for being single, and I will try not to pity you for being in a relationship.