Stop Loving and Hating "13 Reasons Why"

Stop Loving and Hating "13 Reasons Why"

Why we need to stop obsessing over this show.

55
Stop Loving and Hating "13 Reasons Why"
TuneFind

If you watched 13 Reasons Why, then you know the cinematic and social masterpiece that is Netflix’s newest pride and joy. Netflix has the tendency to release dramatic documentaries and series depicting the current and future states of the culture we live in.

Shows like Black Mirror, Making A Murderer, and 13 Reasons unveil the corruption with our current society - our obsession with technology and social media, the extortion in government institutions (like law enforcement), and the effect our selfish, nasty words and actions have on others.

While these series have the pretense of mass-appealing dramas, they also hold deeper messages conveyed through the platform Netflix created, so they might reach a wide audience.

Cinematically speaking, 13 Reasons Why is a masterpiece. With visually stunning, aesthetic sets and metaphoric undertones conveyed in diverse lighting, it ought to be appreciated by anyone who watches it. The filmography is amazing, the aperture of the scenes are beautiful, and the message the show conveys of the unseen effects our words and actions can have on someone is so accurately depicted. Everything is so well done.

13 Reasons unveils the abuse young adults and children undergo in high schools across the nation, and how things that “aren’t a big deal” in one person’s eyes can be devastating to another. Hannah Baker endures verbal, physical, and mental abuse and trauma, and anyone who says otherwise did not paid clear attention to the show at all. Her story either entrances its audience or deters it vehemently; whether you LOVE 13 Reasons (and root for a second series) or absolutely abhor it and Hannah, you need to stop for a minute and reconsider things.

I do not love 13 Reasons Why. I think it was shot stunningly, beautifully produced, and conveys the raw reality behind the various types of abuse and their connection to teen suicide, but I do not love it. I do not want a second season. I do not want to know Alex committed suicide or was murdered. I do not want to know if Tyler went on a campus-wide shooting spree. I do not want to know if Bryce goes to trial or who (if anyone) else he raped.

If you want a second season of this show, you are sick. I don’t say this to be melodramatic or over-reactive, but if you want a show designed to show you the brutal truth behind suicide to continue or renew for a second season, then you are sick.

Think about it.

Yes, I know the human part of us wants to know how things end and what happens to the rest of the characters, but things don’t work out that way in life. 13 Reasons was created to give you an idea of how your words and actions (or lack thereof) can destroy a person’s confidence, their identity, and their resolve to persevere through tribulation.

A second season of this show would answer those questions above concerning the other characters, but in what way? Should there be another season, you are willingly and enthusiastically pursuing the production of a television show focused (now) on multiple suicides, campus shootings/mass murder, mental health, sexual assault, and psychological trauma. You not only glorify suicide but also school shootings, rape, and lack of action when faced with these situations. That is sick, and I do not support any of those notions.

In contrast, I cannot justify hating the show either. While I hate the message it conveys, I believe it was needed. We needed to see the consequences of our sometimes insensitive actions. We, as a collective society, needed to see how different people handle the same situation in various ways.

How many of us made up a lie about someone else to cover up an insecurity?

How many times were we confronted with the truth, but we denied it in front of our peers?

How many of us did something we knew was wrong, and we chose to walk away rather than own up to it?

How many of us saw the repercussions of our actions, but we chose to remain silent because we knew the truth would harm us?

Pretty much everybody can attest to one of those, and while you may be protecting yourself, you are inevitably hurting someone else. To quote Lin-Manual Miranda, “Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.” Every decision we make has a pro and a con, but we don’t always see that. It is truly devastating this show had to be produced, but I believe it holds the potential to teach its viewers of the detrimental effect we have on others.

And while it is understandable you hate this series because of its brutal and vulgar nature, it is not understandable you would make fun of it. I saw tweets like these and so many more in such high volumes, it makes me irrationally angry.

According to these, 13 Reasons tells the story of a girl who commits suicide because she was “looking for attention”, “overreacting”, and “crazy”. To see people create and circulate things like this is disgusting. A person undergoing a similar process as Hannah would not find these funny but, rather, another reason to avoid the truth. By making light of this suicide story and proposing Hannah simply made a tape for anyone who did anything remotely rude is disrespectful to the character, to the story, and to anyone whose feelings it parallels.

Hannah made tapes relaying the actions of the people who most impacted her life and contributed to her ending her life, so suggesting she was once again “overreacting” or “too sensitive” only attests to the culture which prompted her ending her life. You have no idea how others are affected by your words and the things you joke about. (After all, the guys who made jokes about and to Hannah were only kidding, but you see the effect it had on her.)

13 Reasons Why is not a show we should love, nor is it one we should hate. It is, however, a show which warrants respect and appreciation. Whether you thought it was accurate or not, there are others who don’t share your prerogative. You are entitled to your own opinion. This is a free country, freedom of speech, blah blah blah… but you need to be a decent human being.

Do not crave television shows centered on horrible events like suicide and abuse, and do not make light of such topics either. Show respectful to the author of the novel, the producers of the show, and anyone who experienced or experiences the effects of suicide; be respectful to those who found the show beneficial and to those who did not particularly care for it. Above all, though, be respectful to those around you because you never know how much damage your careless or mean-spirited words can have on another person.