Stop Labeling Dog Breeds You Don't Understand As 'Dangerous'

We never get to know each dog cause of the publicity around the breed.

51
Chris / Flickr

I am sure you have all noticed this when you have been looking for an apartment and pet rent information: those fated words, DANGEROUS BREEDS. We come across this a lot when it comes to rental companies and listings. We need to stop labeling dog breeds as "dangerous" and start figuring out ways to help these breeds be more accepted by society and the public.

Labeling certain dog breeds are "dangerous breeds" is very...what's the word...prejudice. Have you ever met a Doberman or Pit Bull that was super sweet and loving? Sure you have. I know I have. The reason why these breeds have this label is because of the bad experiences individuals have had with these breeds, and they refuse to confront themselves with the breed on a positive level. People think too much about the negative things they've heard about the breed rather than getting to know the actual dog.

A Personal Experience.

I have interacted with many of these so called "dangerous breeds." My aunt owns a Pit Bull mix; I pet-sat a Doberman stud (very handsome dog); I've spent time with my friend who would walk a German Shepherd; and I used to live next door to at least five Great Danes who lived in a matchbox-sized back yard. I met all these dogs and grew to love them–not because of their breed, but because of my interaction and how they touched my heart.

The True Ones At Fault.

But there is one thing we forget to consider for this argument: The owners. Owners and handlers are the ones at major fault here, because they are the ones responsible for their dog. If they cannot handle their animal, let alone train it in order to be accepted into society as a friendly dog, then that dog should not be in their care. If they want the dog to remain in their care, they need to go through a training regime with a certified trainer so that they can correct behaviors.

What We Need To Do.

We as a community and as individuals need to help educate the public on the true natures of these breeds – that Pitbulls are amazing babysitters, that Dobermans will stick to you like Velcro, and that Huskies have hilarious personalities. We need to help people see beyond the breed and get to know the dog.