Stop Telling Me My Major Is 'Easy'

Stop Telling Me My Major Is 'Easy'

Just because I chose to forgo a career in the STEM field doesn't make me less relevant.

16
Stop Telling Me My Major Is 'Easy'
Tiffany Cline

I am a journalism and Spanish major.

And they are not “easy” areas of study.

Any time someone asks what I am majoring in I always tell them with pride because I love what I do.

But then I usually notice that there is a strange look on their face.

Because when I ask someone what they are studying I usually hear something like "I am a Neuroscience major with a minor in Chemistry and Biology" or "I am double majoring in Economics and Finance with a law minor."

So to them Journalism seems like an easy way out.

But it's not because I could have just as easily chosen to go down the path of a STEM career, but I love what I do more.

And I am sick of feeling ashamed to tell people what I am studying because I pour my heart and soul into what I do.

Just because I am not taking 4 Bio and Chem classes a semester does not mean my major is 'easy'.

Because if you weren’t a journalism major you probably wouldn’t be overly excited to write a book for a final project but I am.

I get excited about writing the same way a math major gets excited over calculus.

I am just so over the strange looks and the condescending smirks because people make their degree choice a competition.

If someone chooses to study something outside of the STEM field it does not make them less relevant to society.

How do you think a hospital does its PR?

It’s not with the help of a doctor.

How does everyone in the world get their information about what is happening?

With the work of a journalist, not an engineer.

How do you get your daily laughs from BuzzFeed?

Not from someone who studied neuroscience in college.

Of course I am not saying any of those careers are irrelevant because that would be a silly assumption, I am just making the point that all career paths matter because they all contribute different, and important, things to society.

So please stop acting like I took the easy way out by majoring in journalism because I didn’t.

I am just doing what I love and working my butt of each day to make my dreams come true just like everyone else.