Stop Judging My College Major

Stop Judging My College Major

Do what’s best for yourself and your future happiness.

38
Stop Judging My College Major
collegeandthehardworkingstudent.wordpress

Before making my final decision about declaring a social work major, I researched all the details and facts of a social work degree. Of course, the most popular Google searches were, “How much can I get paid with a bachelor degree in social work” or “Social working jobs near me,” but beside those, I was shocked at how many people look at a degree in social work in a negative way. A lot of websites or videos I found of people talking about their experience in social work only talk about the negative aspects, whether that is the low pay rate most social workers receive, or the large amount of work their required to juggle, most of it was only the downsides about the job.

Even people that I don’t know very well have an adverse reaction when they ask me what I’m studying in college. They tell me that social workers don’t get the credit they deserve or they make a remark about how difficult the job can be.

I’m writing this because I feel as if a lot of college students can relate to the same sort of negative attitude when they tell someone what they’re studying in school. The whole point of college is to study something that interests you and only you. If I wanted to do something that pays well forever I would become a doctor or a lawyer; but that doesn’t mean I would be happy.

As crazy as this sounds, money really doesn’t buy happiness. Yes, it would be nice to live “overly comfortable” for the rest of your life but that doesn’t mean the job you go to every single day that makes you money is making you happy.

College is a time where you have the change to take a hold of your life and make decisions for yourself. You should absolutely have your best interests in mind, but don’t think to yourself that you have to study something that makes you completely miserable just because you know you will be making good money in the future. Always remember that the “best interest” you have to keep in mind also has a lot to do with your overall happiness.

To the adults that make the comments when you hear about college kids' majors: stop. Times have changed and so has the state of the economy and the workforce. Just because it’s not something that you would necessarily see yourself studying or even if it seems silly to you, it probably means a lot to the person, considering they are dedicating 4+ years of their lives to it.

And to the people who continue to get hate because of their major: stop worrying about the future. Live in the here and now and enjoy your life as it comes. The best thing about life is that you have control over it and the decisions you make. So regardless if some people disagree with the decisions you make, do what’s best for yourself and your future happiness.