Why It's SO Important To Follow The Social Distancing Rules

Coronavirus (COVID-19) single-handedly ruined my fall of 2020. In early September, I began having a runny nose and a slight sore throat. I didn't focus on it too much — I continued my day like any other one. Looking back, I probably should not have done that.

I ended up testing positive for COVID-19, as did two other people with whom I spent some time within the days leading up to my diagnosis. That had to have been the worst week and a half of my life. I ended up in the hospital with severe dehydration and difficulty breathing. My parents tried their best to care for me, and as a thank you, I gave them the virus. I slowly began to recover — I was able to breathe a bit better and I was actually able to walk on my own.

However, my parents were another story. They both took trips to the emergency room as well. We can now look back at it as a bonding experience. My dad was also diagnosed with pneumonia, which was a nightmare in itself. Having him rushed to the hospital in an ambulance is definitely at the top of the list for scariest moments.

We all have recovered as best as we can with the given circumstances, with some rare symptoms here and there.

Now, to the whole point of why I am writing this article — social distancing, wearing a mask, and consistently washing our hands and sanitize seems like such a hard task for many. I'm unsure why, as it is barely a breach of our basic human rights.

I have always worn a mask and followed every mandate I could — it helped me fight off the virus for several months. You may be bound to get it, but these security measures decrease the chance of infection.

Don't risk it — what could be asymptomatic for one person could be bedridden for another.