Stop Calling Your Drug Addiction A Disease...Because It's A Plague

In response to "Stop Calling Your Drug Addiction a Disease."

132
cnn

So some of you may have seen a recent article titled Stop Calling Your Drug Addiction a Disease circulating around the inter-web and I think it's time to give props to the author. You're right, we need to stop calling it a disease. As a witness to drug addiction up front, I can be the first of many to tell you it is far more than a disease.

'Disease', while effective, is not the most effective word to describe drug addiction. Both definitions of 'disease' can apply to drug addiction. Drug addiction is distinguished by a number of common symptoms aside from just the obvious physical. Users will typically do anything to obtain their drugs. This could range from stealing, pawning, lying, and/or endangering others.

Drug impairs different parts of the brain, telling the brain to send out dopamine, the chemical responsible for any happiness we experience, and after constant use it will soon teach your brain to depend on drug use as a catalyst for happiness until your dopamine simply dries out and you are in constant hunger for a high. Usage cripples the development of the user, the relationships that person holds with others, and the development of the brain. All of these definitions are suitable however, it's almost too narrow.

If we want more accurately describe drug addiction, we should consider calling it a 'plague'.

Take a look at the highlighted portion. While it may be a "choice" (to quote original author), it spreads like wildfire. Think about all the instances you've been exposed to some sort of drug. They could come in forms you wouldn't even think of like your parent or sibling's pain killers. That constant exposure is epidemic.

Granted, it's difficult to grow up in a world where you're surrounded by something so debilitating therefore it should rightfully fall into the 'disease' category of health issues. Benzodiazepines alone are responsible for nearly 9,000 deaths just last year (National Institute on Drug Abuse). Multiply that number by all the other drugs, give or take, and you'll realize the destructive impact that this plague has on our society.

And to directly combat our opponent, drug addiction can hardly be called a choice. Yes, they chose the experiment and now they're sick. Just like the man who decided to sleep around and ended up HIV positive. We all make choices and some choices lead to misfortunes like these, however, not every misfortune is a result of our choices. Let's keep that in mind, shall we?

So before we conclude, let's draw attention to the medication our sick friends and family members are given. A healthy dose of rehab at once every year and jail time, as needed. There's few programs that are actually effective. They fail to build a respect between the mentors and the patients, therefore a willingness to get better soon turns into an eagerness to get the f*ck out of the facility.

Think about the time you were in elementary school getting the drug talk by your teachers. How in depth did they go about the life drug use could lead to? If you can't remember, it's because they taught you wrong. Take a real look at how destructive drug use can become to relationships, health, sanity, and sense of humanity. We've been talking about drugs all wrong, it's time to talk about it right.