25 College Students Confess What Happened When They Stopped Believing In Santa

"Santa is still real. I'm still expecting that Keurig for Christmas this year"

690

At a certain age, every child who celebrates Christmas starts to get an inkling of something hidden— "hold on, wait a second, this seems fake" — when it comes to the jolly old man in the red coat. For some, this realization was a traumatic experience. For others, not much changed. Either way, we all remember the moment when the holidays took on a different meaning.

"I was 10 when I found out Santa wasn't real. It made me sad. After that, Christmas became less magical."

"I found out when I was 9. I wasn't surprised; I'd always been suspicious. I was expected to keep my mouth shut for the younger kids in the family. It never really changed me."

"I was in 5th grade. I was pretty okay with it, it didn't bother me too much. Christmas is still awesome!"

"I was 7-ish I think. It made me sad but I always kind of figured that was the case. Christmas after that was still Christmas!"

"I found out when I was 11. I was confused. Since then, it all feels pretty materialistic to me."

"I found out when I was in my early teens. I didn't care too much since Christmas has been the same. I still love it."

"I was 8. I wasn't actually surprised. Christmas is still magical."

"I was in 4th grade. I didn’t quite mind since I was old enough but I was happy about having had memories where I believed. Christmas was the same except we no longer believed that Santa was the one leaving the presents."

"I was sad and confused when I found out when I was 12. It became magicless."

"I was 6 years old in the 1st grade. I remember being so angry that this kid in my class didn’t believe in Santa so I asked my mom and she just asked me what I thought and I was like oh I guess he’s not real, so I think I just felt like I’d been lying to myself all those years. I’m the oldest so I still had 3 younger siblings who believed in Santa so nothing changed in my house, but I remember I got to go “elfing” and help my mom Christmas shop."

"Santa is still real. I'm still expecting that Keurig for Christmas this year."

"I was about 10. We were getting in the car at my grandparents' house and I looked up and saw the Santa wrapping paper in the lofted part of the garage. I remember feeling really shaken up by it but I couldn't say anything because my younger sisters were in the car. Since then, Christmas has gradually transitioned to us putting stuff in each other's stocking too until the Santa gifts sort of trickled away."

"I was 7 when I found out. I was devastated. I ran upstairs back to my room and cried myself to sleep. My parents were pretty open about talking about how they go shopping for presents for us."

"I was pretty upset when I found out when I was 9. Since then, Christmas has been different but still fun."

"I was in 2nd grade. I was always a skeptical child. Before I found out Santa wasn’t real I would try to set my parents up to give it away or catch them in lies. I think I was partly happy to have been right but also completely distraught. I actually said, 'but the Easter bunny, he’s real, right?' And my parents muffled their laughs and told me yes. Christmas was a little less exciting after that, especially because I had to open presents from 'Santa' until my sister was older."

"I was in 3rd grade when I found out. I felt like I'd been lied to."

"I kind of expected it but I found out for sure when I was 8 or 9. It's still been fun since I have younger brothers to carry on the tradition with."

"I found out when I was looking for my jacket in my parent's closet and saw gifts 'from Santa' in there. I was a bit shocked, even though I was 13 and should have found out earlier. I still take part in the festivities but I don't try to ruin it for little kids. I feel like a kid again though when certain surprise gifts from 'Santa' appear and I sort of feel like there is someone out there delivering gifts but deep down it's my parents."

"I was sad when I found out in 2nd grade. Since then, Christmas hasn't been as magical."

"When I was pretty young, I think I had a suspicion and went looking for gifts in my parents' closet, and found one that I ended up receiving 'from Santa'. I don't quite remember how I felt about it, but I think I was alright. I think I had figured it out in my heart beforehand. Christmas lost its magic over time, but I think it had more to do with growing up than with Santa. As we grow up, we're taught to stop believing in the make-believe. But anything is possible. I think having kids believe in Santa should teach us about the power and magic of belief."

"I was 12 when I found out. I was super upset that I'd been lied to. It wasn’t super exciting anymore. The magic kind of faded that first year afterward."

"I found out in high school. I was sad and I couldn't believe it. Christmas has more meaning since I found out."

"I was 12. I was sad but I felt like I had an in with the old folks; it felt cool to be in on it."

"I'm Jewish so I found out pretty young. I was sad because I had to hide the truth from my non-Jewish friends. Christmas was no different after I found out since I do not observe in the same way as practicing Christians and Catholics do."

*Responses have been edited for clarity and length*