Stop Asking Me About My Other Language

Stop Asking Me About My Other Language

It is time we had a serious talk about how you react to a language other than English.

112
Stop Asking Me About My Other Language
Newcastle University

I speak a second language. Which one, you ask? French. Learned it in school for years and have a degree in it. I am immensely proud that I have any grasp of this language, and one day, I aim to teach it in the state of New York (or anywhere that accepts my certification or degree, to be quite honest). I hope to engage and enchant students to study this language and look outside the walls of the United States to become a more global citizen; I personally find learning about cultures fascinating and hope to inspire another in the same way. Curiosity is beautiful!

But while I stay here in the States, there is something that I have noticed ever since I was kid in my first language class. Americans are absolutely obsessed with those who can speak another language, but it scares them at the same time.

Let me give you an example of a personal experience: In the Summer of 2011, I had an opportunity to travel to Europe with a group of students my age with the group, People to People, where we promote peace between the States and the European countries we visited - we were student ambassadors, and the whole experience was eye-opening. During one of our off hours, a few friends of mine and I started to sing in a foreign language; we were minding our own business when a few of the people in our group were complaining that they couldn't understand us. "We had beautiful voices but we should sing no English."

When I was in college, I had friends who I could speak French to, and whenever we did so in public, we got dirty looks from passersby.

Whenever I try to rewatch NXT segments on YouTube of Asuka, Andrade Almas, or Shinsuke and they dare speak their own language, people in the comments furiously type about how they need subtitles or how those three need to speak English or don't bother cutting a promo.

All of this happened in America from Americans, this fear of hearing a language other than English.

And on the other hand, they love hearing that language; it's considered "hot" or "sexy" to not speak English.

Friends of mine have begged for me to speak French to them, multiple times. What should I say, I ask, and they just say, anything! They get an eager look on their face as if hearing French is some exotic thing that they have never experienced. Then the questions roll in: "Can you translate this for me?" "How do you say this?" "Are you fluent? How fluent?" "Can you teach me?" and more.

I am not saying that it isn't a good thing to love language; it really is a beautiful thing. I am proud of my second language (and can boast that I have legitimate certification from experts!) and I love learning others. But when it comes to getting dirty looks or getting harassed with ridiculous questions about it, I am so tired. Unless you are going to speak to me in French, don't ask me to speak it to you. Educate yourself on another language if you love it so much or just ignore that I'm talking to my friends in French; I'm through with being everyone's personal computer, unless you are going to be in my classroom.