Stop Apologizing For Taking Up Space

Stop Apologizing For Taking Up Space

The next time someone bumps into you, don't say sorry.
146

"Sorry!"

"Oh, sorry! Let me get out of your way!"

"Excuse me, so sorry!"

If any variation of these phrases drop from your mouth without a second thought, it's time to stop apologizing. If you you can't make it through a single interaction with a stranger without saying them, it's time to stop apologizing.

If you can't move through a crowd, grab something off a shelf, or stop yourself from saying, "Sorry," when someone else bumps into you, it's time to stop apologizing.

These incessant apologies are more than simply being polite.

Whenever you get that knee-jerk reaction to say sorry: stop. Ask yourself, "Why?" What do you have to be sorry for?

You're apologizing for taking up space. You're saying sorry for being present in time and space. You're apologizing for something that you have no control over and it's time that you took a moment and stopped.

Take a moment and accept that you don't have to apologize for existing.

The next time that someone bumps into you, reign in that instinct to say sorry and ask yourself what Beyonce would do, or what Leslie Knope would do, or what Nicki Minaj would do. It sure as hell wouldn't involve apologizing. It would more likely involve a lot of side-eye and sassy comebacks.

Sassy comebacks are 100 percent approved by all of the leading ladies of our world, for making people respect your personal space.

You don't have to take the route of, "Move b****, get out the way!" But that level of enthusiasm is definitely appreciated.

The next time someone bumps into you, jut out your hip, throw your shoulders back and stare them down like they are the last cockroach on earth that is about to have the life squashed out of it.

You can have a quiet nervous breakdown about your newfound level of sass after the now-disgruntled stranger storms around the corner.

You need to have the same attitude that says, "I am existing in this space and I refuse to move and/or be apologetic about it." Have that attitude every time that someone gets up in your grill, every time someone knocks your books from your hands, every time you hit a pedestrian for walking slowly across the crosswalk, do not apologize! Wait...okay that last one might be going a bit too far, but you get the picture.

You deserve the space you are existing in; don't feel the need to apologize for it.