From St. Louis To Norman: A Comparison
Politics

From St. Louis To Norman: A Comparison

"You guys" vs. "Y'all"

358
From St. Louis To Norman: A Comparison
pixabay

"Do you know what sounds good to eat right now?" I asked.

"No, what sounds good," asked my new friend from Oklahoma.

"Toasted Ravs"

"Toasted what?!"

"You know, toasted ravioli?"

"What in the world is that?"

WHAT?! My mind was blown. I probably ate toasted ravioli three or four times a month back home, whether it came frozen from Walmart and I threw some in the oven or as an appetizer from a restaurant, and she didn't even know what it was. You see, I knew it was an Italian food created in St. Louis, but I didn't know that the idea hadn't spread to the rest of the states yet. So, I wanted to experiment and see if other people would react the same way. They did, and each time my jaw would drop and I would feel deep sympathy for them.

This is just one of the differences I have noticed since making my nine-hour journey on Interstate 44 from St. Louis to Norman. Although they do not have some piping hot "toasted ravs" sprinkled with parmesan cheese and served with marinara dipping sauce (mmm my mouth is watering), they do have so many other things that the St. Louis area does not, that completely makes up for it.

In fact, I have opened a door for myself here maybe twice and I have been here for over a month. TWICE!! Guys back home were sweet, but they definitely were not covered in the same southern charm. If a guy were to open a door for me back home, it was usually a dad or a boyfriend because my hands were full or something. But here, guys make a point to open doors, even if you're a total stranger.

For example, I was walking back to my dorm tower the other day and I had a guy sprint up from behind me just to open the door. I was in shock. Therefore, my biggest struggle I am facing is reminding myself not to fall in love or get overly flattered because of every guy who opens a door for me.

Also, Oklahoma's fast food has a leg up on us because here, there are Raising Cane's and Whataburger. It's honestly a tragedy that we don't have Raising Cane's around us. They have the BEST sauce for their juicy chicken tenders that are always served with yummy Texas toast and let's just say, I might have developed an obsession with Canes since I've been here. (Which is not helping me battle the "Freshman 15".) Luckily, though I have been able to stay away from Whataburger since it is not located on campus and accepts meal swipes, all the Oklahomans and Texans rave about it.

Lastly, I need to point out the change of demeanor I have observed here. People are genuinely nice and it is almost as if they all live by a "no one is a stranger" code, because no matter where I am, I always feel welcomed by the people of Norman. St. Louis may have the best sports fans in the nation, but they don't have the best personalities in the nation.

I love where I come from and I am always proud to represent STL, but I hope after going to school here at the University of Oklahoma, the compassionate attitudes of everyone in Norman, start to rub off on me more and more (that and I hope I come home saying "Y'all").

Anyways, I can't wait to go home to eat some toasted ravioli and hug my family, but I hope I bring a little bit of the Sooner Land attributes with me.