Why I Still Write Articles For The Odyssey

The reasons that drive me to still write an article every week.

36
Media Shift

Sometimes I wonder why I write for an online platform. It can be a bit stressful at times, and after a long and busy week it can seem like it's just one more thing to add to my plate. I also struggle, more often than not, with thinking about what to write, which sometimes can take even longer than writing the article itself. One thing that I do love about writing is that once you get into it, the words usually just pour out of your fingertips. This is part of the reason why I continue to write articles every week. I love writing, and I always have. It's something that isn't a chore to me, it's a form of release. It's something that brings me joy and gives me something to work towards. It's a sense of responsibility that I take pride in.

I also enjoy the structure that writing for the Odyssey has given me. Knowing that I'm responsible for writing and submitting articles every week, keeps me accountable and strengthens my work ethic. In school, I always liked the structure of a deadline, some of the stress it provided, and the knowledge that it would all be over at some point. Having a weekly deadline for my articles gives me some of the same urgency that I felt in school. It keeps me on a schedule, and gives me a routine, something that I often crave. I've always liked the accountability, and I've always enjoyed the sense of accomplishment that I get when I complete a task on time and as it should be.

Even more than that, I enjoy talking to people about my articles. Every week, when I sit down and debate about just emailing my editor and telling her that I don't think I can submit that week, I think about my friends and family that have supported me this whole way. These people read my articles every week, and enjoy discussing them with me. It gives me a sense of duty to write every week for my readers, even if it's not hundreds or even thousands of people. I know that each week, there are people who see my article pop up on their feed or timeline, and open it to read what I have come up with.

My love for writing is probably what drives me the most, however. Even as a kid, I liked to write. Writing assignments were never something that I dreaded, I liked expressing and explaining my ideas on paper. Writing allows you to be able to thoroughly think over ideas and opinions, so that when they are argued and presented to your reader, you have a solid stand. Rather than fumbling over words in a rushed and heated argument, writing allows you to take the time to think about what you're going to say, whether it be controversial or not. I also like the creativity that writing allows you. Whether it's the words you choose to write your paper, or the style of writing you pick, there truly is an art-form to writing.

The drive that I have to write my articles every week comes from both the joy I get from writing and the support of my friends and family. Each week, when I sit down and think about whether or not to write an article, I remember the accountability I have and the people that enjoy reading what I write, and that gives me the push to create new articles each and every week. So thank you for keeping me accountable.