sorority stereotypes

Every Stereotype You Have About Sorority Girls Is Wrong, Hear Me Out

Twitter videos and jokes aside, sororities mean way more than letters of the Greek alphabet.

833

There are lots of movies that feature us. By "us" I mean sorority girls. We are portrayed as immoral, cookie-cutter, status-obsessed, perfect, and mean. The title of a sorority girl is often associated with a life which revolves around date parties and socials, the "sorority squat," and clapping and yelling in videos on Twitter of recruitment chants. If you look up "sorority girl" on Urban Dictionary, you are bombarded with phrases like "high maintenance" and "cliquey."

That is how we are perceived by strangers on an anonymous website. As if we are all the same. As if all we care about is what lies on the surface. As if this is all that we are. As if there is not infinitely more to us than what you can see in a photo, dozens of photos, Instagram accounts, Twitter videos, Urban Dictionary definitions, and jokes made between people who have no knowledge or experience in greek life, let alone a sorority.

Stereotypes are usually pretty similar when it comes to classifying us.

Some believe that we don't care about school, that we are in college for the fun, and the connections, rather than to work hard to get where we want to be.

I wonder if people who believe we don't value our education have ever seen the determination of the "sorority girls" I know in studying for their tests in Neuroscience and Political Science classes.

They probably haven't watched my fellow sorority sisters earn 4.0 GPAs semester after semester, or choose to stay in and do their homework on a weekend night. And they definitely haven't seen my friends and sisters help others with their work, without expecting anything in return.

Another stereotype heaped upon sorority girls is that we "pay for our friends."

Sororities have dues, yes, but they cover the price of philanthropy events, maintaining our chapter, keeping our part of a larger organization strong. In my experience, every single one of the friendships I have made with girls in my sorority and other sororities has been anything but fake. I can honestly say that I have never met more genuine girls in my entire life, and it is all because of organizations that were formed over a hundred years ago. And so, to those who believe this stereotype to be true, I say that I must not be paying enough for my friends, because they have enriched my life in so many ways.

My sisters, as cliche, as it sounds, are my support system, biggest encouragers, best friends, the first people I want to share the good news with, and a shoulder to cry on. They uplift me, bring me joy, make me laugh until I cry, and are the best dance partners.

Some people may also believe that we only care about what we can gain from our sorority, rather than what we can give back to it.

Anyone who believes this stereotype is turning a blind eye to the money raised for dozens of charities and worthy causes, such as the Make A Wish Foundation, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, and the Ronald McDonald House, to name a few. A sororities philanthropy is the heart and reason behind why members stay members. Giving back to the community, and raising money for important causes are just a few of the reasons why being in a sorority cultivates a sense of serving others for a lifetime.

We are not "sorority girls."

We are women in sororities, members of Greek organizations, devoted to our shared values, and determined to succeed. We are scholars, sisters, friends, mentors, achievers, and philanthropists. We are more than what meets the eye, or what is said about us on online or between people joking around. We are kind, we are leaders, we are devoted and we are determined.