Stephen Maginas: An Irreplaceable Friend, Mentor, And Minister
Education

"I can honestly say that Stephen has taught me more about myself and how to think critically more than my 4-year, top 25, $240,000 education ever could," Davis said. "That, is the Spirit of God at work on this campus."

312

During 2017, I didn't believe in God. I was going through a crisis in my life, opening up about deep-seated problems in my life that I previously didn't talk to anyone about. All of my closest friends supported me unconditionally, but a couple of them directed me to this man who they thought would be good to talk to and sort through these feelings and the vulnerability: his name was Stephen Maginas.

In 2007, a realtor changed his career path, affirmed by members of his church to go into the ministry. Stephen Maginas enrolled at the Reformed Theological Seminary (RTS) in 2007, and started interning with RUF (Reformed University Fellowship), a Presbyterian ministry group, at Emory University. He took over the job of campus minister at Emory in 2011, and has been the minister since, playing a pivotal role in mentoring students in their Christian faith and their lives through his boundless theological and life wisdom and keen listening ear. Senior Marshall Weber echoed how nonjudgmental of a listener Stephen is, even in the most difficult of circumstances.

"He knows the right things to say or do in a variety of difficult conversations or situations, and if he doesn't, he's always willing to lend an ear," Marshall said. "You never feel that Stephen will judge you as he is the first to admit his own past faults."

I knew none of this when I first visited and met Stephen. To me, he was just an ordinary man in his mid-30s who had no hair. But he completely surprised me with his depth of wisdom and insight into my life and my situation, and I would later find out that that it is his humility and ordinary-ness that make him so accessible.

"He may seem like an ordinary guy at first, but after getting to know him you'll realize that he has 100 years of experiences contained in less than 40 years of life," Marshall said. "This breadth and depth of experience have granted him discretion and empathy in a range of difficult situations. I have often come to Stephen to talk one-on-one about a personal struggle, a theological question, or for advice on big life decisions."

And it is Stephen's ordinary and humble nature that have made him such an approachable presence among all students at Emory. It takes a while for me to open up about my spiritual and life crises, but there are conversations I'll have with Stephen where I will talk for five minutes consecutively at a time, and all he will do is nod and give bits of encouragement. These characteristics of Stephen make him and his ministry in RUF an approachable presence among both devoted Christians at Emory and ardent skeptics, like I was in the latter stages of 2017. Senior Matt Rogers perhaps puts this approachable nature of Stephen best.

"Stephen Maginas, what a man. Stephen and his leadership at RUF have played a HUGE role in not only my experience at Emory, but also the growth of my faith over the last 4 years," Matt said. "His charisma and attention to the students in RUF is so welcoming; he makes people feel seen and heard."

And the welcoming nature of Stephen is not only a grace that he extends, but one that is extended by his immediate family: his wife, Lesley Maginas and his seven-year-old twins, Gregory and Sophia. At RUF events, we regularly chat with Lesley and play with Gregory and Sophia as if Stephen's family were our family, and that is exactly how he wants his students to feel.

"Beside his wisdom and teaching, one of the greatest gifts Stephen has given me and, I think, many of us, is his family and home. College can be lonely, but knowing Stephen is knowing his whole family, and they bring so much joy to my life," said sophomore Grace McMillen. "The fact that he opens up his home and provides a second family here for so many students is incredible, and it's had a massive impact on my life."

After my first meeting with Stephen, we followed up several times that year, and I came to realize that he had a sort of wisdom and way of treating people that I didn't, and that I coveted in an almost envious sort of way. I could be impatient. I wasn't always a great listener. And here was a minister of a Christian organization at Emory who seemingly perfected every interpersonal skill I wanted to have in the future. My desire to learn from him led me to start going to RUF in the next semester to try to figure things out. And I just realized there was a flaw in my thinking that the stereotype of the self-righteous and intolerant religious person just didn't apply to Stephen and so many of the friends I met through RUF. In fact, it was the opposite. It took some time and a lot of God's work in my life, but God, through Stephen and RUF by extension, converted me to Christianity by April.

Senior Davis Husk describes similar life changes due to Stephen's ministry to Emory students.

"Stephen is more than a campus minister. He's even more than my spiritual mentor. Stephen has drastically altered my life's path— for the better," Davis said. "He is unique in his ability to consistently push back my thoughts and ideas in the goal of inspiring me to think about the issue from another angle, to seek greater empathy, and to check my biases."

Beneath Stephen's exterior of being an incredibly approachable and welcoming bald middle-aged man lies a deep knowledge of the Bible which he uses to help students grow in their understanding and faith. His favorite Bible verses include Micah 6:8, 2 Corinthians 5:21, and Revelation 5:9, and he is currently preaching through what is considered one of the most difficult books in the Bible to understand, the Book of Revelation, this semester at RUF. And because his faith and knowledge are so strong, Stephen has taught Revelation's literary symbols and metaphors in a manner that is accessible and applicable in our lives. Senior Matt Rogers attests to Stephen's deep theological wisdom.

"Stephen is also an extremely learned theologian and he challenges his peers and the Emory students to think critically and deeply about our faith and the Bible," Matt said. "He is such an awesome combination of friend and teacher, and I thank God for Stephen's role in Emory RUF and my life."

Stephen's knowledge of Scripture goes far beyond the Bible - it applies to the lives of each and every student he engages with. Stephen uses his theological knowledge and maturity in his faith to impart profound spiritual wisdom to us, especially about how to address our daily problems. I have come to Stephen for any personal or emotional problem I am having, and especially handling those problems in a Christ-like manner is something I have trouble with. Stephen has aided me substantially in those endeavors. Seniors Peter Elder and Marshall Weber and sophomore Grace McMillen expand on the spiritual wisdom that Stephen has imparted on the Spirit's involvement in daily life.

"While Stephen may have left many of his high-octane adventurous lifestyle behind to focus on his family and ministry, he remains satisfied. He realizes that satisfaction in life isn't about the biggest fish you catch in a season or the coolest trick you pull off on the slopes, but rather comes from finding meaning and joy in ordinary, day-to-day activities," Marshall said. "In the end, time spent with family, friends, and Emory students is what matters most. That's how lasting relationships are made and lives are radically changed through the power of the Gospel."

"I can say that a huge part of my growth in college, both in terms of maturity and in regards to spiritual wisdom and practical knowledge, has been due to Stephen's teaching and guidance," Peter said. "I have been very blessed by his leadership, and it has allowed me to be able to say that college has been the biggest season of growth and change in my life."

"I've gone to Stephen for advice on many topics, some theological and some just life-related: baptism and communion, decision-making and the relationship between God's sovereignty and man's free will, how to be a better friend," Grace said. He's taught me more in two years than any other pastor I've ever had in my entire life."

I am sure that I am only capturing a sliver of what Stephen has done for students at Emory and what he means to the RUF community, but I can say personally that meeting and being mentored by Stephen was one of the best things that could have happened to me in college and in life. I am eternally grateful for his guidance, listening ear, and mentorship in my own life. After I graduate, I look to emulate Stephen's love of God and his neighbors. For many of us, Stephen is a second father. Seniors Davis Husk and Marshall Weber described Stephen's meaning in their lives and the lives of everyone at RUF much more eloquently than me.

"I speak for myself and many others when I say that I am incredibly fortunate to have such a quality man as a friend and mentor," Marshall ended.