Staying Friends After College

Staying Friends After College

What happens to your social life after college?

181
Staying Friends After College
VideoBlocks

College is a great time for your social life, especially if you live on campus. There’s almost always something happening. Even if there isn’t, you live close enough to your friends to make your own adventures. I can’t tell you how many times my friends and I made late night trips to the store, took over a classroom in the music building to watch Netflix or play video games, or wander off campus and into town. But what happens after college when you move away from all of your friends? Is it possible to still have a social life?

According to CNBC, many millenials face what’s being dubbed a “quarter-life crisis” after graduating from college. The article states that for many of us, school has been the primary source of our social structure for most of our lives. Once we graduate and are set loose upon what we’ve been told is the “real world,” our whole lives come crashing down. We no longer have the same structure that we’ve thrived in since forever. We become so focused on surviving that we forget to live.

Right after graduating college, I found it was easy to still maintain a social life. However, I had moved to Florida to participate in the Disney College Program, where my living situation was very similar to college. It was easy to have friends who were easy to make plans with while still surviving, because almost everyone you knew around your age was doing the same thing. However, my time in Disney only lasted a few months, and before I knew it, I was back in New York. This time, I was no longer a student, but a grown-up with a “real job.”

Adjusting to life back in my hometown was hard. I can count on one hand the number of friends I have who are still living close by. All of us work full-time, and some of us even work two jobs just to keep up with our college debt. That doesn’t leave much time for fun. Heck, I went the whole month of March and most of April without hanging out with my friends outside of work, and I could tell my mental health wasn’t exactly feeling good about that.

Now, I’m not writing this article to scare those of you about to graduate college. You will still make friends. You’ll keep in contact with your old friends. The difference is that you actually have to make time. You no longer can decide that hanging out with friends means studying in the library, because that option doesn’t make sense anymore. You can’t just walk over to their apartment and hope that they’ll be there. You have to text them. You have to call them. You have to make it a point to have a social life.

So yes, it is possible to have a social life after college. It might look completely different from before, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad.