10 Ways To Stay Sane In College, Especially As Finals Week Approaches

Stay calm, cool, and collected on campus.
180

Life at university moves pretty fast, and if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. I looked over my time in college, particularly this past quarter, and wondered, how do we do it? College is hectic, but it's doable. You just need some good strategies. With finals coming up, I thought I would share 10 ways I stay cool, calm, and collected on campus.

1. "The Office."

I may have been against it for a while, but this September, faced with nothing new to watch, I decided it was about time I saw this iconic show. College keeps me busy and this silly level of comedy is perfect after a long day. How could you not feel good watching Pam and Jim fall in love?

2. Calling home.

There’s nothing like calling home to the people who know you best. For me, that’s my parents. They’re always willing to listen to what I’ve got going on and remind me of what’s important in life. Plus, they’re always willing to laugh at my jokes (my cheesy, cheesy, jokes).

3. Going to the gym.

While my roommate has to drag me most mornings (thanks, Amber), getting some exercise in really does clear my head and make me feel good. While the walk to the gym might be the hardest thing you do all day, the post-workout feeling will make it worthwhile!

4. Taking time to be artsy.

Express yourself! College days are filled with lectures, work, and studying, and that’s it if you aren’t proactive! Taking time to paint, write, and even dance helps me fill my college days with even more meaning. And being mega-talented isn’t important; when it comes to creating, just doing it is all you need to do.

5. Eating with friends.

Sometimes I feel so busy at school, I feel like I don’t even have time to see my friends. But eating is a perfect time to catch up with your buds! I find that if I make the time to eat with friends as opposed to by myself, the day is so much greater!

6. Staying a week ahead.

OK, this is the only academic tip on this list, but trust me, it is so worth it! Staying a week ahead really starts to pay off in the middle of the quarter. When everyone is starting to freak about midterms, you’ve been studying and finished with projects for a while. Staying a week ahead can allow you extra time for those unexpected assignments (or life events) and will make you feel so much better. Trust me.

7. Listening to the news.

Maybe it's just me, but not knowing what is going on in the world makes me feel crazy! Up at school, I don’t have my usual news sources on hand, so I’ve had to find new ways to stay in touch. If you do Apple Podcasts, NPR does frequent news updates that are five minutes long; they are great for busy days!

8. Journaling every night.

I’ve been doing this daily since 2016, but it's been a great habit to have in college. Not only do I get to vent every night, but it's become a wonderful capsule of my college days thus far.

9. Exploring my college town.

I’ve found one of the great things about college is you’re in a new place with new things to explore. So take time to do so! I’ve certainly enjoyed making new places my favorite hangouts and benefiting from fresh sights.

10. Making my bed every day.

Before college, I wasn’t a big “make your bed in the morning” gal. Well, now I am. Why? A couple of reasons. The first, dorms are so small that making your bed will really make a difference in how it looks. The other is that it feels much better to have an already-made bed when you come home from a long day.

Hope this list gives you some ideas on how to keep on keeping on in college!