A guide to surviving the end of the semester and finals

Get Through The End Of The Semester By Staying On Top Of Your Work And Not Procastinating

As finals lurk in the distance, students can be easily overwhelmed.

59

When the semester of my freshman year started, I felt invincible. I was away from home and the assignments from my classes were hardly difficult. Doing homework felt like a breeze and I felt proud knowing that I was able to handle college life. After midterms though, I felt as if my classes suddenly shifted into the fast lane without using their blinkers. Suddenly, I had more assignments and readings due each day. I felt as if I was slowly sinking under the enormous pile of work that had seemingly come out of nowhere.

I finally realized that I needed to face my troubles head-on. Rather than allowing myself to fall victim to my classes, I decided to do my best to succeed. This of course started with actually doing all of my work on time. Rather than procrastinate my homework, I discovered that it's always best to just get it out of the way so that I wouldn't have to stress about it later in the night. By starting my work early, I could use the time after to relax and see friends.

As finals approach, I've found that staying on top of my work is even more important. I've started to take some time out of my day to review my previous notes so that when finals do come around, I won't have to struggle as I have been. While I sometimes find it hard to stick to my own rules, I also realized that it's okay to take breaks. Mental health is very important, especially for a college student. I always ensure that I'm in a good mindset when doing my work that way I never struggle too much. I know now that taking a nap when I'm tired will be better for me in the long run, rather than forcing myself to stay awake and do work.

While dealing with the end of the semester may seem tough, by taking care of yourself and committing to your classes, it can be a breeze.