How To Stay Motivated This Spring

How To Stay Motivated This Spring

Work hard this spring to make your summer more rewarding!

22
How To Stay Motivated This Spring
fanpop

As soon as the weather finally decides that it's springtime, we are all familiar with the lack of motivation for anything that doesn't have to do with the semi-warm and sunny outdoors. This is an especially painful experience for a college student (like me) who isn't done with classes until June. (Really, that's the only thing I hate about the "trimester" system.) While many of our college-aged peers are gearing up for final exams (or are already finished), we're still in the midterm stage. In April. When it's finally starting to be nice out. Yep, at this point, we have over a month to go before we get our summer vacation. If you're in the same boat (this is just for me as it is for you), here's a list of ways to stay motivated this spring.

1. Do your work INDOORS.

Unless you're not at all prone to distraction, working on homework or whatever else outside in the fresh air isn't recommended. While it seems nice to do homework like this, if you're like me, all of the sounds and smells of nature will stop you from getting a significant amount of work done. Save your outdoor relaxation for after your work is (mostly) done.

2. Make a schedule.

If you find that your focus is dwindling, take a break to write down everything that needs to be done for the day (and when). I tend to work better on a schedule, and if you're the same, make sure you schedule short breaks for yourself! That's the beauty of a schedule; without one, you'll likely try to get too much stuff done at once and end up not getting much done at all. Especially when you know when to take a break, having a schedule is a good way to make effective use of your time.

3. Stay away from social media as much as possible.

(A great way to do this is to keep your phone powered off or in another room while you're working.) Chances are, around this time of year, your Facebook friends will be posting some of their first summer vacation pictures. Don't focus on vacation just yet! You'll just get jealous of those who are on vacation and have less motivation to do your work. If you have to, you can pretend that it's January or something.

4. Reward yourself!

Once you're finished with whatever you're working on at the moment, then is a good time to do whatever else it is you want to do. Go outside, read for fun, eat some ice cream, etc. Just don't get so carried away that you think it's actually summer vacation or anything. That would be terrible for your motivation. (See number 2 for "scheduling" rewards.)

5. Remember that the harder you work now, the more satisfying your summer will be.

Although I'll be starting my senior project this summer, it'll still technically be, well, summer. No matter what it is you'll be doing, like working or interning somewhere, your summer will feel more like summer if you finish off your school year on a high note. Now get going!