Maintaining Motivation: Battling The Second Semester Slump

How do you stay motivated when the sun is down before 5 p.m.?

212
Pexels.com

Second verse, same as the first!

It’s the second semester, and whether that’s your second semester on campus or your last semester in Pullman, it’s a little different than the first. You have to fight a bit more for things to do on the Palouse, and you’re expected to have a little bit better of an understanding of the way things work in college.

For me, this is my final chapter at WSU. As much as that is bittersweet to me, I am still ready to graduate, and I am preparing for this semester a little differently.

I have learned that January and February are a little darker, and it’s more difficult to maintain focus and determination. I have learned how cold it feels when you’re scraping your window at five in the morning to head to work. I know what the dark days do to my mood, and I have consistently battled how to combat that.

With only four months to go in the Palouse, I am attempting to spread my wisdom (or something like that) for other people who may not have lived this time of year in Pullman, or who haven't quite figured out how to navigate the dark days.

This is something I had to learn the hard way. I have withdrawn from classes multiple times because by the time the darkness rolls around I am no longer motivated enough to get everything done.

Plan ahead.

I went through all of my syllabi during the first week of school and put all of the information in my planner. Some may call this overkill, but I can look ahead to what weekends I need to be studying, and request time off of work if I know I am going to need it.

This whole plan ahead thing is twofold, in that you plan ahead for your academics and also plan ahead for your fun. There are two, three-day weekends this semester, and a week off at spring break. But spring break isn’t until mid-March, and post-break feels like the home stretch. I choose to take those two three day weekends to rest, relax, and travel if I can.

This year, the first three day weekend falls at the end of the first week of school. I am not stressed yet, I am not worried about school yet, and I feel pretty good about how this semester is going to go. But I am still taking some time to prepare, mentally.

This Friday night, I am staying in. I plan to make myself a nice dinner, and watch my favorite movie, The Princess Diaries. I then plan to take a hot bath with a colorful bath bomb and read a book. For fun!

While many people will laugh and think that I am such a grandma for staying in on a Friday night during syllabus week, I am simply front-loading some self-care. Self-care has not been something I have been good about in the past, and I have faced the consequences numerous times. I am not doing "nothing," and I still plan to go out one night this weekend, but I am simply taking an opportunity I have to spend alone and utilizing it.

The next three day weekend that comes along will arrive after my first round of testing, and I imagine I will be itching to get out of Pullman. Some friends and I plan to head to a cabin in Idaho, and I hope to do lots of recreational reading, board game playing, and general bonding with my friends.

The second big piece of planning this semester is significantly more difficult. Stay motivated best you can, however, you can.

I am choosing to swim every day this semester because I know the more I workout, the better I feel. I am a bridesmaid for my cousin’s wedding in Hawaii and I am using that as motivation to work towards getting in shape. If I’m going to be in a swimsuit on the beach in a few months, it’s something to work towards. Because that time frame is a little on the longer side, it’s easier to be motivated because I know that it’s further away and I’m going to have to continue working towards it.

This also builds in some rest for my brain every day. I may be working hard in the classroom all day, but as soon as I am in that water, it's quiet. It's all about getting from wall to wall and maintaining technique. I hold onto the reminder of how great I feel after I workout every day when I don't want to get in the pool, and it helps me to keep my head clear all day.

I also am using the fact that I am graduating as my motivation to finish strong.

It’s the last time that I have to buy books.

It’s my last syllabus week, it’s the last time I’ll have a spring break for the foreseeable future, and it’s the last time I will live within a mile or two of the majority of my closest friends.

I am using that to remind myself to have fun, to get out a little bit, and to soak up the time I have left in Pullman.

So, whether it's your first winter semester in Pullman, or your last, plan out what you need to accomplish, and take time for yourself to stay healthy. It will be worth it in the end.