10 Ways To Motivate Yourself When Cold Weather Keeps You Down

Leaving your cozy bed to enter into the brisk cold is the hardest part of the day.

30

Finding motivation when the weather is freezing is something that has been very difficult for me lately, so I'd assume there are others out there facing this issue. The lack of sun shining through your windows and painful wind on your face when you walk outside is atrocious. I thought I'd come up with some motivational tips to help both me and others struggling with this issue to push through these last cold days until Spring is sprung.

1. Exercise

Exercise is good in just about every aspect of life. But, if I'm feeling unmotivated and I start hitting the gym I start to put things into perspective. Exercise makes you feel better and although it's hard to get yourself into the gym, it always benefits you.

2. Make to do lists

To do lists always make me feel better because once you start crossing things off you feel exhilarated and accomplished.

3. Start a new hobby

Maybe take that yoga class you've been interested in for a long time, or join another club on campus to keep yourself more active.

4. Make time for friends

If you're an extrovert like me, spending time with friends energizes you. If you're an introvert, maybe you need to stay in and catch up on a book to feel rejuvinated and ready to accomplish your goals.

5. Treat yourself

Once you've taken a step forward in motivating yourself, even if it's a small one, treat yourself to something you deserve. Maybe buy a new shirt or order a delicious lunch.

6. Stick to a schedule

This is the best way to get things done. By sticking to a schedule you're more consistent with your daily activities.

7. Surround yourself with positive people

This one is important because if you're constantly surrounding yourself with people who put you down or make you feel poorly about yourself you're going to feel the opposite of motivated.

8. Make time for things you enjoy

Make a vision board or get coffee with a friend. You have to have time for yourself mixed in with all the tasks you're getting done.

9. Pair up with a friend

I've noticed this works really well for me. If you make plans with a friend do to some homework, or to go to the gym, you're more accountable. If I have plans with myself to go to the gym, chances are I'll skip. If I have plans with someone else to go to the gym, I'm much more likely to go.

10. Watch a Ted Talk

Ted Talks always motivate and inspire me to do better in life. I even have the Ted Talk app on my phone for when I need some positivity.

Whether you're hitting the gym, creating a vision board, or doing a yoga class, there are tons of resources out there to keep you going when you're feeling unmotivated. Only a few more months left of the cold months and then you can look forward to wearing shorts and walking outside into the sunshine.