5 Ways To Stay Informed Before The 2020 Election

As political campaigns for the next presidential election kick into gear, the United States enters a period of constant streams of information and ruts of frustration. In the case of the 2020 election, one Democratic candidate will have to face President Donald Trump, who is running for a second term. Currently, there are 20 Democrats running for the nomination, from all walks of life such as politicians, entrepreneurs, authors, and a former Vice President.

If you're not someone who's actively tuning into the political scene, understanding the "ins and outs" of an election can be hard enough, let alone when there's 20 potential candidates. But since this election stands for more than just the highest seat in the nation, it is vital to keep your sources straight and make an educated vote come next November. Here's how.

1. Watch the debates.

Dnc Debates 2019 GIF by MSNBC

Debates are a staple of any election process, but in a presidential election they become crucial. With one round of Democratic debates completed, those that qualify for the next round will appear back on stage July 30th and 31st. Debates are a simple way to keep track of who is running and what they stand for, as well as how they carry themselves both before an audience and against their fellow candidates!

2. Follow the candidates on social media.

Social Media Facebook GIF

No, this isn't a social media competition where the person with the most followers wins the nomination. However, in our day and age, a social media presence for those in politics becomes a vital way of creating a public forum for one's constituents, as well as displaying one's policies and passions. By keeping up with the candidates on social media, you can be first to see their responses and reactions to current events, as well as updates on their own campaigns!

3. Read up on their platforms and policies.

Legally Blonde GIF

Each one of the 2020 candidates has their own website, which includes their platforms and stances on various issues and policies. Thankfully, they're drafted in a way to convey the most information in the most efficient way possible, so you don't have to read more than you have to. However, if you do want more information on what a particular candidate stands for, more often than not they'll have other links, articles, or even books that you can peruse at your own leisure!

4. Take a political alignment quiz.

Bruce Almighty Quiz GIF by Coventry University

The amount of candidates and their various policies can seem a little intimidating, especially in the day and age of political mudslinging. If a candidate seems good, what if they're actually not? Well, a quiz created by ISideWith is meticulously designed to take you through your own opinions on various issues, and it then matches you with the candidate or candidates who most strongly share your opinions!

5. Stay up-to-date.

Breaking News GIF

I know that watching the news can feel like being bombarded with political discourse and negative updates. However, setting up alerts on your device or tuning in for at least ten minutes a day can help you stay informed on current events. If you know what's going on in a particular situation, you can create your own opinions on it and see how the candidates align with them or not!

Study up now so you can make the most educated vote later on!