Taylor Swift and Scooter Braun

#WeStandWithTaylor And Why You Should, Too

Alexa, play “This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things” by Taylor Swift.

4413
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzQjirhjjeq/

News broke today that Scott Borchetta (who founded Taylor and signed her to "Big Machine Label Group") has sold his label (Taylor's first and former label) to none other than Scooter Braun for over $300 million. Scooter now has the rights to all 6 of Taylor's previous albums (plus music from many other artists including Reba McEntire, Lady Antebellum, etc) and will profit from their sales and streams.

If you don't already know who Scooter Braun is, he is a rep for both Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande. Scooter is known for a lot, but a lot of bullying in regards to Taylor. Scooter actively supported Kanye's music video for "Famous" where there is a nude Taylor Swift look-a-like in bed with Kanye. According to Taylor, Scott knew about the troubles and hardships that she faced with Scooter and yet, Scott still decided to sell the label to Scooter.

Taylor has ALWAYS advocated for artists' rights and has always said that artists should be able to own their own music and do with it what they want. For example, when Taylor wrote a letter to Apple Music in 2015 mentioning that when Apple offers a free 3 month trial for their streaming service "Apple Music", the artists/producers/writers do not get paid for those 3 months. In the letter, Taylor mentions herself that it isn't about her and that she can successfully afford to support herself, her band, crew, management, etc. Because of this letter, Apple reversed its policy and will now pay royalties even during the 3 month trial period.

For another example, Taylor finished up her stadium tour for her 6th album "reputation" in late 2018. Not only did this tour break the record for highest grossing tour, but Taylor made sure to include something very special during her performance of "Dress". In this performance, Taylor dedicated it to Loie Fuller, an American dancer and actress who fought for the right for artists' to own their own work.

Let's just make a note that this isn't about whether or not you like Taylor Swift. This is about how men are using their power to manipulate and control women not just in the music industry, but in everyday life. Let's also mention the fact that (as of right now) no men in the music industry have spoken up about this, but multiple women (including Miley Cyrus, Iggy Azalea, Beyonce, and Halsey) have.

Scooter Braun does not deserve access to Taylor's catalog or ANYONE'S catalog, for that matter. This is Taylor's music that SHE wrote and that SHE worked hard for.

Can we also talk about the fact that Taylor's 6th album "reputation" about how she was bullied and picked on during the snake bandwagon that Kim and Kanye started is now an album that Scooter Braun (who took part in the bullying) has rights to and will profit from?

We stand with Taylor and even if you don't like her or her music, you should, too. Could you imagine working so hard for it to all be taken away from you and given to someone who bullied you to be "cool"?

Click here to visit the petition that is going around for anyone to sign for Taylor to re-record and re-release her previous 6 albums that she will own as a master and a publisher.