Stand Up Fight Back, And Say No To DAPL.

Because we all deserve clean water. No matter where you are, or where you came from.

9
https://pbs.twimg.com/

I have been writing for The Odyssey for almost a year now, I have learned many things, but there is definitely something that sticks out in my mind: my voice is powerful. In society, we are told that only one voice can do a lot, but when we have an opinion of our own we are told to sit down and shut up because it won't make a difference so we shouldn't even try.

So tell me, which one is it? Does society want me to form an opinion when and only when it benefit the majority view. When and only when my opinions perpetuates the values and benefits of those in power? The recent arrest of Shailene Woodly has finally sparked a discussion on the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL). However this fight, has been going on long before the arrival of Shailene. The indigenous people along with other tribes have been protecting their sacred burial grounds since January/April. The pipeline would surely destroy the sacred sites and poison the water of the Standing Rock, Sioux tribe.But whatever, its not like water is an essential part of life anyway.

Oh, and Amy Goodman? Yeah, shes facing prosecution for documenting the protest. The charges include criminal trespassing, and once they figured that "wouldn't stick" they decided to charge for rioting. Amy states: "I wasn’t trespassing, I wasn’t engaging in a riot, I was doing my job as a journalist by covering a violent attack on Native American protesters." It seems to me certain people are trying quite hard to make sure the violence and injustice taking place at the DAPL Protests are not public information. You can find information about DAPL here.

If holding the government accountable for their actions can lead to the arrests of two advocates, then their is more to the problem than big corporations. Its the government that allows them to "slide-through" and it is time the government is held accountable.

If journalists such as Amy, and activists such as Shailene can not bring light to these problems, who can? There are many ways YOU can help join this fight, even if you're not able to join the protest. Here is a list of things you can do to help the cause.

Captain America once said, "Compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say, 'No, *you* move"

Join the movement. Say no to DAPL, before it's too late.