The 15 Terrifyingly Inevitable Stages Of The 'Sunday Scaries,' A College Horror Story

"...not to mention the false promise we've made to ourselves to never go out again... yeah right"

460

Before college, it was unheard of to put so much emphasis on Sundays but once that first Sunday hit me, right smack in the middle of my undergrad career, I knew. It's true what they say: once you know, you know. The Sunday scaries are real and I've lived through them a countless number of times.

1. "Waking up".

I put quotations on waking up because this won't be the first time you wake up. The Sunday scaries requires you to "wake up" at least three different times and within the various times, you'll wake up groggier than the last.

2. Waking up for the last time.

Who's to say when you'll get to bed for the night but this "last time" you'll be waking up to attack the day that is just complete torture.

3. The spins.

If you thought you had the spins at Toms just a mere few hours ago, then think again. Although these put a different kind of spin to things (pun intended), said spins will make you rethink going out next Tuesday... or really ever again.

4. Getting in contact with the rest of the fallen soldiers.

Actively reaching out to your friends via back-to-back texts, inquiring on whether or not they're alive is all part of the process.

5. Deciding if it's still breakfast.

Entirely dependent on the time in which we "wake up", it'll be another hour or so until everyone decides on whether or not it's still appropriate to eat omelets, home fries and sides of Bloody Marys and mimosas for lunch.

6. Having certain realizations throughout breakfast/brunch/lunch (or whatever we're calling it now).

By certain realizations I mean who the guy was that our friend snuck home with again, how many slices of pizza we had this time and if said number of slices went down easy or not.

7. Am I hungry again or do I just have to use the bathroom?

Honestly, the decision alone is only half the battle.

8. Yup, we're hungry again.

Regardless of what the final decision was, the next step is always hunger.

9. Sitting in front of our black screen of a laptop.

"Doing homework" all the while repeating the recap of the total debauchery that was this past weekend for the 12th time.

10. The scaries are now in full effect (if they weren't already).

Frantically sifting through our planners in front of a big, cold cup of green tea that we had no intention of ever finishing. "We have like, 2 exams, a presentation, two papers due and a group meeting all on the same day... who let us go out these past two nights!?"

11. Mac n cheese as a nightcap.

Immediately after we've come to terms with the impending doom to come, we settle our upset stomachs with whatever grease encrusted foods we can get our un-showered hands on. One can never go wrong with a pot of boxed mac n cheese.

12. Getting our last minute affairs together.

Throw up for the fourth time? Check. Take your third catnap of the day? Check. Shed a few tears over the piles of crop tops and distressed jeans all over our bedroom floor? Check.

13. Setting our fifty alarms.

Although we absolutely don't want to, there we go setting alarms for our 10:05's the following morning, whether or not it's through a face full of tears because of the scaries.

14. Staring into the darkness that is our room after lights out.

Not to mention the utter darkness that is the week ahead.

15. The finale of the scaries.

The moment we thought would never come: hair tied in that weird bun on the top of our heads, no pants and the biggest t-shirt we own.

The few hours of peacefulness we've managed to salvage (and not to mention the false promise we've made to ourselves to never go out again... yeah right).