4 Stages of Registering For Classes

4 Stages of Registering For Classes

As told by an unlucky college student.

46

This is for all the college students out there who have experienced the chaos of registering for the following semester's classes and understand the struggle that such a seemingly minor task brings.

1. Confidence 

As the current semester moseys to an end, registering for classes seems lightyears away, until suddenly it's November and you realize you only have a week to get yourself together! And yet, after you rummage through a list of courses and stalk instructors on ratemyprofessor.com, you feel utterly sure that this detail-oriented, strategically-planned schedule will fall effortlessly into your lap.

2. Stress 

As your designated registration date approaches, you can't help but watch your preferred classes like a hawk, feeling helpless as the number of seats left continuously drop. You furiously search for backup classes, after complaining to your friends of course, and soon begin to rethink your luck of scoring the perfect schedule. 8 a.m.'s aren't that bad...right?

3. Panic 

The day of registration is here, and you roll out of bed before 7 a.m. for the first time all semester, miserably turning the brightness down on your laptop because it is just. too. early. You log onto the website, and all you can do is anxiously wait until 7 a.m. and pray that the it refuses to crash. 6:59 is the longest minute of your life, and suddenly you're navigating the website, violently typing your classes into the allotted spaces and holding your breathe as you hit submit. As expected, though much to your dismay, you're kicked offline and forced to restart. This time your submission is successful, though you really only succeeded in securing three out of your five classes. Here comes the real rush of panic. You begin to question your major, because how are you supposed to graduate if you're unable to take the required courses? And you begin to brainstorm the best excuse to explain to your dean why you just can't take the 8 a.m. history class, even though it's you're only option. OH, and you definitely start e-mailing professors in hopes of them overriding the system and granting you a seat in their class.

4. Acceptance 

After days of failed attempts at reconfiguring your schedule, you finally accept that you just aren't that lucky. You're willing to tackle these classes anyway! But, do you really have a choice? And who knows, maybe your 8 a.m. will turn out to be your favorite class! ... Eh, who am I kidding, it will be terrible! But, there's always next semester ...let's hope this cycle doesn't repeat itself!