Summer is here and so are the infamous White Trash Wednesdays at The Strip. It's time for flannels, cut-up crop tops, gator apparel, and beer t-shirts. There's just something special about these Wednesday summer nights; maybe it's the fact that every guy is wearing uncomfortably short jorts or maybe it's that the entire student body is packed like sausages inside The Strip. Who knows? All I know is that we can't stop our trashy obsession, and we definitely can't stop the stages that come with our Wednesday night festivities. From the moment we wake up to the Thursday hangover, we all can relate to what comes along with this summer tradition.
11. When you don't have a wrist band and security thinks that they're going to stop you from having a good time... ha, yeah right.
Popular Right Now
In 2017 we had to say goodbye to one of the best websites to ever roam the internet: Vine. In case you have been living under a rock since 2013, Vine was -(sad face)- a website and app that took the internet and the app store by storm in Winter 2013. It contained 6-second videos that were mostly comedy- but there were other genres including music, sports, cool tricks and different trends. Vine stars would get together and plan out a vine and film it till they got it right.
It was owned by Twitter and it was shut down because of so many reasons; the viners were leaving and making money from Youtube, there was simply no money in it and Twitter wanted us to suffer.
There's been a ton of threads on Twitter of everyone's favorite vines so I thought I'd jump in and share some of my favorites. So without further ado, here are some
1. "AHH...Stahhp. I coulda dropped mah croissant"
2. "Nate how are those chicken strips?" "F%#K YA CHICKEN STRIPS.....F%#K ya chicken strips!"
3. "Road work ahead? Uh Yea, I sure hope it does"
5. "...Hi Welcome to
7."Welcome to Bible Study. We're all children of Jesus... Kumbaya my
10. "Yo how much money do you have?" "69 cents" "AYE you know what that means?" "I don't have enough money for chicken nuggets"
11. "Hurricane Katrina? More like Hurricane Tortilla."
13. "Get to Del Taco. They got a new thing called Freesha-- Free-- Freeshavaca do"
14. "Mothertrucker dude that hurt like a buttcheek on a stick"
17. "Not to be racist or anything but Asian people SSUUGHHH"
18. 18. "I wanna be a cowboy baby... I wanna be a cowboy baby"
19. "Hey, I'm lesbian" "I thought you were American"
20. "I spilled lipstick in your Valentino bag" "you spilled- whaghwhha- lipstick in my Valentino White bag?"
21. "What's better than this? Guys bein dudes"
22. "How'd you get these bumps? ya got
23. "WHAT ARE
24. "Can I get a waffle? Can I please get a waffle?"
25. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAVEN!" "I can't
27. "How much did you pay for that taco?" Aight yo you know
28. *Birds chirping* "
29. "Girl, you're thicker than a bowl of oatmeal"
30. "I brought you Frankincense" "Thank you" "I brought you Myrrh" "Thank you" "Mur-
31. "Sleep? I don't know about sleep...it's summertime" "You ain't go to bed?" "Oh she caught me"32. "All I wanna tell you is
34. "Next Please" "Hello" "Sir, this is a mug shot" "A mug shot? I don't even drink coffee"
35. "Hey did you happen to go to class last week?" "I have never missed a class"
36. "Go ahead and introduce yourselves" "My name is Michael with a B and I've been afraid of insects my entire-" "Stop, stop, stop. Where?" "Hmm?" "Where's the B?" "There's a bee?"
37. "There's only one thing worse than a rapist...Boom" "A child" "No"38. "Later mom. What's
40. "Zach stop...Zach stop...You're gonna get in trouble. Zach"
41. "CHRIS! Is that a weed? "No this is a crayon-" I'm calling the police" *puts 911 into microwave* "911 what's your emergency"
42. "WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? "
43. *Blowing vape on table* * cameraman blows it away* "ADAM"
44. "Would you like the spider in your hand?" "Yea" "Say please" "Please" *puts spider in hand* *screams*
45. "Oh hi, thanks for checking in I'm still a piece of garrbaagge"
46. *girl blows vape* "...WoW"
47. *running* "...Daddy?" "Do I look like-?"
48. *Pours water onto girl's face" "Hello?"
49. "Wait oh yes wait a minute Mr. Postman" "HaaaAHH"
50. "...And they were roommates" "Mah God they were roommates"
I could literally go on forever because I just reference vines on a daily basis. Rest in peace Vine
I have been coming across a lot of troubling articles relating to pop culture lately. Instead of seeing articles that praise "Batwoman" finally being represented on screen, I learn that the actress portraying her has quit Twitter due to the backlash of it. Instead of people excited to see what a live action "Teen Titans" could be like, Anna Diop was all but chased off of Instagram. This has led me to the conclusion fans are ruining the very thing we hold dear. The fandom has become a disease that is spreading, and that is not okay.
I have talked briefly in the past about how some fandoms such as "Star Wars" can have a bit of a toxic following, but that toxicity is spreading to other genres now. These actresses are just the latest in a long line of people who have done a comic book, fantasy, or sci-fi film and tv that have been harassed like this. Earlier this year Kelly Marie Tran deleted her Instagram page because of the backlash she got from "The Last Jedi."
Obviously, there is no way to satisfy everyone, and I can be a fan that is occasionally hard to please. However, that is in no way a reason to bully anyone, and that is what these "fans" are doing. Bullying. It doesn't matter if they are celebrities, directors, actors, musicians, or millionaires, bullying is and will always be wrong. I have heard the argument that they are artists and performers and should learn how to handle criticism, but I don't buy it. Criticism comes positives and negatives, and it is supposed to be objective. "I hate Ruby Rose as Batwoman because she is not Jewish," is not criticism. Just because you dislike the casting of a film or tv show does not give you or anyone the right to harass a person regardless of how famous they are.
That also does not mean you have to like the casting choice of everyone or certain characters in any way. Personally, I line with several people in not being a huge fan of the "Titans" trailer that was released. I think there was poor casting on all parts, but I have not seen the actual show yet, so there is really no way to tell who is talented in it and who isn't. Plus, I know for a fact that each and every actor is that show will give a way better performance than I ever could. I do not mean to say I have a better moral compass than anyone else. I just wanted to use myself as an example that shows you don't have to like everything Hollywood does with your favorite comic.
I know that can be hard as well. I know there are lots of these characters that fans are extremely passionate about it, and I know when you are passionate about something, it is easy to critique and overly judge it because you love it and want it to be perfect. The truth is that it will never be perfect because things always have to change when being put into film and tv. That doesn't mean it will not be good. Any comic fan out there knows Hugh Jackman is too tall for the comic Wolverine, but his performance is great and so are his movies. Keep an open mind, and there could be some surprises that come out of it. The new movie or tv show could flop as well, but do not take it out on the people involved. The actors and crew really wanted to make something good, but sometimes mistakes are made. That is still no reason to bully someone.