Stages of Studying for a Test

Stages of Studying for a Test

38
Stages of Studying for a Test

1. Anticipation

You know the test is coming, and you know you need to study, but you still wait until the day before to start. Meanwhile you tell all your friends just how much you have to study, whilst you are not studying.

2. Optimism

It’s only 5 p.m. You probably should have started earlier today, but you have plenty of time to study. You'll be fine! You're going to make a plan, and get it done. Let’s go.

3. Slow oncoming worry

You start to realize you do not in fact have plenty of time to study. You will not be fine, and you may not completely follow your plan for studying. But it’s okay, because at this point it’s only 9 p.m. and you’ve accepted the fact that you will be staying up all night.

4. Utter hopelessness

Crying, screaming, hating your miserable life. Basically the world is over, you’re accepting failure, you’re ready to give up. You don’t know why you’re even in school. Maybe you can drop out…

5. Burst of energy

Okay! FOCUS. You think you can do it, and you get a sudden burst of “I-Need-To-Be-Productive.” This may involve a call from your best friend to boost your spirit. Insert coffee here.

6. Absolute delirium

Well it’s about 2 a.m., you’re not seeing straight, and you are certainly not getting your eight hours tonight. The coffee has only made you jittery. You are definitely accepting defeat at this point. Why stick it out any longer?

7. The next morning…

Today’s the day! The sun is NOT shining. Your brain is dead. You trudge to class with worry filling up in your stomach.

8. THE TEST

Okay. Test time. Here you go. Question 1…..Okay, this was not in the book. Did he say it in class? You don’t even think you studied the right chapter at this point. Do you walk out? Do you cry right in the middle of class? You’re screaming inside and everyone else is already turning the page.

9. Defeat

The infamous “So what did you think??” is asked, and you don’t know whether to cry, scream, or laugh. “It was alright.” You play it off. Maybe next time you’ll start earlier…