Stages of A Mom Moving Her Child Into College

An emotional roller coaster.

70
glad.is

Regardless of if you are the first, second or third child in your family, when you move into college your mother will act the same exact way. There is a pattern that all moms seem to follow when they ship their children off to school. These stages could also refer to the emotions that a mother endures. There is no denying that when you move into college for the first time, you will encounter the following situations.

1. Overly Giving AKA Excited

Before the moving process begins, a mother usually purchases an unreasonable amount of things for her child to bring to college. These may include, but are not limited to, a lap desk, a computer lock, paper clips, a staple remover, crayons, an entire new wardrobe and soundproof earmuffs. She is very excited for her child to further his or her education and wants this new home to be just like the old one. However, sometimes she gets too out of hand in the shopping department. Half of the things she buys are totally unnecessary, but she's a mom and moms do love shopping.

2. Control Freak AKA Stressed

Both packing the car up and unloading the car seem to bring about high tensions. Dear old mom wants everything to be just right, so she is the only one who can instruct others how to pack and unpack the car. If everything doesn't fit in the car, her response would be something like, "If I would have put things where I wanted, then maybe everything would fit." The same goes for unloading the car. She has to advise others what to take out of the car first so that nothing falls out. There seems to be a map in her mind, and when someone doesn't follow it, she begins to get a little stressed out.

3. Organization Queen AKA Satisfied

Now that Mom has moved her child's belongings into the room, she decides it is her responsibility to put things in their place. She makes the bed, puts all the clothes in organized drawers, puts all the school supplies in the desk and may even vacuum the room. This is the cleanest and most organized the room will look the entire year. Mom is confident that her little child will be comfortable in the mom-ified dorm.

4. Motherly Concern AKA Terrified

It is about that time where the family is no longer needed to help move in their little college student. Mom begins to think about what will happen when she has to leave her child. The lecture begins.
"Be safe."
"Make good choices."
"Lock the door."
"If you share your clothes, make sure you get them back."
"Travel in groups of at least four people."
"Never go to the bathroom alone."
"Text or call me at least three times a week."
"Do your schoolwork."
"Go to class."
"Study."
"Ask for help if you need it."
... The lecture usually goes on for another hour or so.

5. Mental Breakdown AKA Depression

The last stage lasts from the minute a child says goodbye until probably a few months after the child is away at school. A child hugs his or her mommy goodbye and the hysterics kick in. Mom cries and usually says, "I wasn't going to cry." She hugs her baby because no matter which child this is, she still feels the same pain. The day came too fast for her and now it is time to say goodbye until the holidays. Mom leaves the dorm, knowing she has nothing to worry about, but still knows she will miss her baby immensely. The crying continues on the car ride home and into the night. Dad tries to calm Mom down, but knows this is one of the hardest things they will ever have to do. Their little baby is now a college student.